Do you enjoy a Bacon, lettuce, and Tomato sandwich? Maybe with a little mayonnaise and some basil. Well, this pie is for you! It taste even better than a BLT. My oldest daughter would not eat tomatoes until she had a piece of tomato pie. It is a creamy, cheesy mouth-watering delight. Tomato Pie is a great side dish, for brunch or breakfast, or even a light lunch. My husband even likes this pie cold. Every time I make this recipe, I get rave reviews. People always ask for the recipe. So, here it is.
Ingredients for Tomato Bacon Pie
- 1 – 9 inch pie shell
- 4 Fresh tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried basil) I use a combination of 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1 teaspoon Ms. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, I use sharp
- 6 to 8 slices of bacon, cooked hard and crumbled
- Bake pie shell for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes and layer them on a baking sheet that has been lined with paper towels.
- Season the sliced tomatoes with the salt and pepper.
- Allow the tomatoes to drain on the paper towels for 30 minutes to an hour. Pat the tomatoes to remove moister.
- Layer the tomatoes in the bottom of the pre-cooked pie crust.
- Add half of the crumbled bacon on top of the layered tomatoes.
- Put a second layer of sliced tomatoes on top of the bacon.
- Top the second layer of sliced tomatoes with the rest of the bacon.
- Mix together the Mayo, cheese and herbs.
- Add the mixture to the top of the tomato pie. Mixture will be thick.
- Spread the mixture to cover the entire pie. You may want to use your hands.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Share this recipe with everyone you know who enjoys tomatoes.
This verse came to mind when I saw these huge red tomatoes. “My hand made all things. All things are here because I made them.” says the Lord.” Isaiah 66:2 To me, it is easy to see the wonderful things that God has made when I look at all the things that a farmer grows. I call all fresh fruit God’s wonderful candy that He has made for all of us to enjoy. I just enjoy summer time so much when I can go to a farm or a farmers market and pick lots of wonderful fruit.
I pray each of my Posts will bring Glory to God. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on the homepage for e-mail updates of new posts.