My family just loves Green Bean Casserole for the holidays. The difference in my green bean casserole is I add lots of cheese. The cheese makes it even more creamy and delicious. I also prepare it in my crock-pot. When you have so much food to bake during the holidays in the oven, do not forget about your crock-pot. Green Bean Casserole cooks perfectly in it. Once it gets done, just turn the crock-pot to warm. The crock-pot will keep it hot and you will not have to reheat the green bean casserole just before serving it.
What is on our Thanksgiving and Christmas table besides this Green Bean Casserole? I am pretty sure you will find most of these side dishes on any Southern Thanksgiving or Christmas table. My family loves these simple dishes. I guess it is tradition that I have to fix these sides or at least most of this list. I do need my family to narrow the list down. Usually, everyone gets to pick their favorite side dish and they help prepare that dish. The side dishes highlighted in blue are links to the recipes already on my blog.
- Homemade Creamy Macaroni & Cheese – Crock-pot version coming this week
- Green Bean Casserole – see recipe below
- Green Bean Bundles
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Corn Pudding - Crock-pot version coming this week
- Lima Bean Casserole
- Broccoli and Yellow Rice Casserole
- Moist Corn Bread Dressing
- Deviled Eggs
- 7 Layered Salad
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE - My recipe is definitely no secret. You can find it on the back of the French’s French Fried Onions can. I have used this recipe longer than I can even imagine. The only difference is I add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese in the recipe and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the green bean casserole before adding the extra French’s Onions to the top. I also add some Season Salt and granulated garlic.
- 1 (10 3/4) ounce can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (I also add 1/8 tsp seasoned salt and 1/8 tsp granulated garlic)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drained OR 2 (9 ounce) pack frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounce container of French’s French Fried Onions (1 cup to mix inside the recipe and the rest to top the green bean casserole)
- Mix soup, milk, 1 cup French’s onions, pepper, seasoned salt, garlic, 1 cup cheese, and drained green beans.
- Spray the crock-pot with a cooking spray and add the green bean mixture.
- Cook on low about 3 to 4 hours or on high 2 to 3 hours.
- Once it is heated thoroughly and bubbling, turn the crock-pot to warm until ready to serve. The green beans will thicken up as they cool.
- About 8 servings in this recipe.
I used a 5 quart crock-pot. I had plenty of room to double or triple this recipe.
I pray each of my Posts will bring Glory to God. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on my homepage top right corner for e-mail updates of new posts.