When you have a group of children over to eat, it is always a good idea to serve Macaroni and Cheese. Try using your crock-pot when fixing Mac & Cheese, especially if your crock-pot has a warm setting. After the Mac & Cheese starts bubbling around the edges (3 hours on low in crock-pot), just turn it on warm and forget about it. This recipe turns out very creamy and delicious.
What is on our Thanksgiving and Christmas table besides this Green Bean Casserole? I am pretty sure you will find most of these side dishes on any Southern Thanksgiving or Christmas table. My family loves these simple dishes. I guess it is tradition that I have to fix these sides or at least most of this list. I do need my family to narrow the list down. Usually, everyone gets to pick their favorite side dish and they help prepare that dish. The side dishes highlighted in blue are links to the recipes already on my blog.
- Homemade Creamy Macaroni & Cheese - Crock-pot version coming this week
- Green Bean Casserole - see recipe below
- Green Bean Bundles
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Corn Pudding - Crock-pot version coming this week
- Lima Bean Casserole
- Broccoli and Yellow Rice Casserole
- Moist Corn Bread Dressing
- Deviled Eggs
- 7 Layered Salad
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
CROCK-POT CREAMY MACARONI AND CHEESE - adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining cookbook. I added salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dry mustard.
- 1 pound dry macaroni – this is about 4 cups dry (I used penne pasta because it is what I had on hand. I normally use macaroni noodles.)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 10 3/4 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dry mustard
Cook the macaroni until al dente (this works better than fully cooking it). Mix the macaroni with all the ingredients except for 2 cups of shredded cheese for the top. Place the macaroni and other ingredients into a crock-pot that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
Add the other 2 cups of shredded cheese to the top.
Cook on low 3 hours. Once it is heated throughly and bubbling around the edges, turn the crock-pot to warm until ready to serve.
I used a 5 quart crock-pot. I had plenty of room to double or triple this recipe.
I pray each of my Posts will bring Glory to God. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on my homepage top right corner for e-mail updates of new posts.