Sausage Gravy is another southern comfort favorite for breakfast. Serve the gravy over these homemade biscuits. Click to see the recipe on a previous post. I know people who eat it over eggs, hash browns and more. Your family will love it.
When making gravy you need to have equal parts of fat to flour. I am going to post lots of information and recipes about gravy in the near future. When making sausage gravy, brown the sausage and remove it from the pan. Measure 1/4 cup of sausage grease (fat) and discard the remaining fat. Heat the fat and sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour over the fat. Use a whisk and combine the fat and flour and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk. Return the sausage back to the pan. By measuring the fat and flour, you will be successful when making gravy.
I make sausage gravy often so I know that the sausage that I use leaves about 1/4 cup of fat. Once you know that you can leave the sausage in the pan and follow the following steps.
SAUSAGE GRAVY RECIPE
- Brown 1 pound pack of sausage and leave it in the skillet. Do not drain the grease.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and mix in with the sausage until well coated.
- Slowly add 4 cups of milk and whisk constantly.
- If the gravy sits and becomes to thick add a couple TB’s of milk.
- Salt and pepper as needed be careful not to over salt. Some sausage has a lot of salt already added.
I love this little gadget. It is called the CHOPSTIR. It chops sausage and ground beef very small with little effort. I highly recommend it.
May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. (NIV)
I pray each of my Posts will bring Glory to God. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on the homepage for e-mail updates of new posts.