I asked each of my family members what they enjoyed doing the most on our Disney World vacation. My plan is to write a post about each family members’ favorite things to do in Disney. I thought this would be a little different angle and it may help someone else make a decision on what to do if they have a child the same age as my children. This would also help me document the things my children enjoyed at certain ages. This post is all about Caleb our special needs son.
You may enjoy my other Disney posts. Disney World-Favorite Things by Carly-FASTPAST TIPS, Disney World – Jerry’s Favorite Things, Disney’s Garden Grill Character Dinner, Disney World-Be Our Guest Restaurant, Disney World-’Ohana Polynesian Dinner
Caleb will be 17 in August. He is my special needs son who has had 17 brain surgeries, cerebral palsy, and seizures. Caleb is the reason we eat a lot of character dinners and stand in line to see the characters. He truly had a great time!
Caleb’s Favorite Things to do in Epcot
- The Seas with Nemo and Friends- Caleb also absolutely loves the movie Finding Nemo. At The Seas with Nemo and Friends, guests board a clam shell shaped car and travel through the sea meeting Nemo and all of his friends along the way. Several spots are particularly amazing when a talking Nemo looks like he is in the aquarium tank with the real fish. You can see the real sharks and other fish swimming in the background. The clam shell ride ends at The Seas where you can see the aquariums filled with fish, sharks, stingrays, and sea turtles. You can even watch divers feed the animals during feeding time. Caleb loved seeing the manatees. We always say that Caleb swims like a manatee because he loves to dive deep and swim along the bottom of a pool.
Turtle Talk with Crush- In The Seas is another one of Caleb’s favorites, Turtle Talk with Crush. Here, guests get to actually talk one on one with Crush, the sea turtle from Finding Nemo. Crush actually communicates directly with the kids, answering their questions and asking them questions of his own. Caleb always laughs so hard at Crush’s jokes and the normally very quiet Caleb will even sometimes say, “Dude…focus Dude.” or “Give me some fin, noggin, Dude!”
- Caleb’s Favorite Things to do in Hollywood Studios
- Toy Story Midway Mania- As mentioned before, Caleb loves Toy Story, so we just had to let him ride Toy Story Mania. This ride is similar to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin in that you are shooting a gun at targets. However, this game is made up of many carnival like games, like Ring Toss, Pie Throwing, and throwing darts at balloons. What makes this ride stand out is that it is in 3D. Riders wear 3D glasses that make the targets really stand out and sometimes might even get pie thrown on them. This ride is extremely popular, so make sure to get there early to either wait or get Fastpasses. It is not unusual for Fastpasses for this ride to sell out before lunch.
- Meeting Buzz and Woody- Across the street from Toy Story Mania, you can meet Buzz and Woody. Caleb was a bit overwhelmed by meeting his favorite pals and was wide-eyed the whole time.
Meeting Lightening McQueen and Mater- Caleb also loves the characters from Cars, especially Mater. On the Streets of America in Hollywood Studios, Caleb got to get his picture made with Lightening and Mater. The cars blink and make noise making them seem even more life-like.
Caleb’s Favorite Things to do in Magic Kingdom
- Dream Along with Mickey Stage Show- This show is performed on the stage in front of Cinderella’s Castle and stars Mickey, Minnie, and all their friends, including appearances by Peter Pan, Captain Hook, and many princesses. Caleb loved seeing all of his favorite pals!
- Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade- This is the afternoon parade in Magic Kingdom. It runs down Main Street and through Adventureland. The parade is filled with many Disney characters and is lead by none other than Mickey Mouse himself. Caleb enjoyed seeing Aladdin and Peter Pan. All of our favorite princesses also appeared along with their princes. Make sure to stake out a spot along the parade route early if you want to be in the front for the best view. It can get busy very quickly. PARADE TIP: Our favorite spot is the tables in front of Sleepy Hollow Refreshments. From here you can watch the parade cross over the bridge and you are not right in the crowd.
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin- Caleb loves anything featuring Woody and Buzz from Toy Story. In Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin in Tomorrowland, riders shoot a lazer gun at targets, racking up points along the way. There are two guns on each car and a joystick that you can use to make the car spin around to give you a different angle when shooting. Caleb does not like spinning, but he didn’t have to since that feature is totally controlled by the riders. This is great for special needs children or younger children who might not want to spin. He loved getting to shoot at the Evil Emperor Zurg.
Caleb’s Favorite Places to Eat – Check back soon for an entire post about Chef Mickey’s and The Garden Grill.
- Chef Mickey’s – As I mentioned before, Caleb loves meeting all the characters. Having dinner with the characters is the BEST way to meet the characters and have your pictures made with them. You never have to wait in line to meet the characters. They will come to your table while you eat. Chef Mickey’s is located in the Contemporary Hotel. They serve a character breakfast and a character dinner. This is NOT a favorite place for the rest of our family but Caleb loves it. You can read all about the pros and cons on my separate post about Chef Mickey’s.
- Garden Grill- See link to why we love this overall Best Place for Disney Character Dining.
- This post was written by me, Diane Roark. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on the homepage for e-mail updates of new posts. If you enjoyed this post, I would be grateful if you add it to social media.
It is OK to use one of my photos but Please LINK BACK.