My most popular post day after day is my post about Banana Pudding Poke Cake, so I decided on making this extremely easy Boston Cream Poke Cake. I enjoy making things from scratch but those posts do not get near the hits as quick and easy recipes. People just do not have time to spend in the kitchen. We all need recipes that we can depend on that taste great and are extremely easy. One of my favorite desserts is Boston Cream Pie. It is really not a pie but more like a cake. I love the combination of cake with a cream filling topped with chocolate icing or ganache. I decided to try making a Boston Cream Poke Cake using a cake mix. I baked a Ducan Hines Butter Golden cake mix and poked holes in it with the back of a wooden spoon. I topped it with two boxes of instant vanilla pudding and a homemade icing or ganache. My family loved it! I too was so surprised!! It really was one of the best Boston Cream Pies I have ever had. If you are looking for an extremely easy and great tasting dessert, try this Boston Cream Poke Cake recipe using a cake mix. It is YUMMY!
- * 1 box yellow or butter cake mix
- * Two 3 ounce packages of instant vanilla pudding
- * 4 cups milk
- Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the package.
- Cook according to the directions in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes in the cake one inch apart with the back of a wooden spoon all over the cake.
- Whisk together two boxes of instant vanilla pudding together with 4 cups of milk.
- Pour the pudding on top of the cake and into the holes of the cake. I gently tapped the baking dish on the counter to help the pudding get down into the holes. If the pudding sits a few minutes and becomes thick, it will not get down into the holes. If this happens, just add 1 to 4 tablespoons of milk and stir to thin it out.
- Place the cake with the pudding on it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- After the pudding sets, make the icing or ganache and pour it over the pudding. Spread the ganache evenly over the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake with the pudding and icing until the ganache firms up.
- * 1/4 cup heavy cream
- * 3 tablespoon butter
- * 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate-I used Baker's
- * 1 cup powdered sugar
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla
- * 1 to 3 tablespoons hot water if needed to thin icing
- Scald the heavy cream and butter in the microwave. Do not let it boil. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Add 4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate to the scalded milk. The scalded milk will melt the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is very smooth.
- Whisk in 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- The icing or ganache should easy run off your spoon. If it does not, add 1 tablespoon of hot water at a time and stir until it easily runs off the spoon.
- Homemade icing or ganache recipe below - If you are in a really big hurry, you could use a can of chocolate frosting. Just heat it up in the microwave until it will pour smoothly.
Chocolate Icing or Ganache Recipe – The homemade icing – ganache recipe is delicious on this cake. If you are in a hurry, you could also heat a can of ready made frosting in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the frosting over the pudding that has completely set.
Click the picture below to see other special dessert recipes.
This post was written by me, Diane Roark. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and subscribe on the homepage for e-mail updates of new posts. If you enjoyed this post, I would be grateful if you add it to social media.
It is OK to use one of my photos but Please LINK BACK.