This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Thank you so much for stopping Recipes for our Daily Bread.
Are you a canned green bean fan? Canned Green Beans do not have to taste like they came out of a can. I add lots of flavor to these Canned Green Beans including garlic, Italian seasonings, and Parmesan cheese. I am going to show you how to make the best canned green beans.
To me, nothing is better than fresh green beans. I grew up close to many farmers. We had fresh vegetables often. I remember sitting on the porch like Andy and Aunt Bee snapping beans. Cooking fresh green beans is not always an option.
The second best option for the most nutrients is frozen green beans, but sometimes I do not have either one on hand. If I use canned green beans, the first thing I do is WASH them. Washing canned vegetables is helpful for any canned food. Canned foods are loaded with sodium. Lowering my sodium is especially important for me since I have issues with my blood pressure. I have a very long history of blood pressure problems in my family. My father passed away when he was only 58. His high blood pressure caused kidney failure. His mother, my grandmother, died at age 39 from a stroke due to her blood pressure. I make sure to wash my canned vegetables thoroughly before using them to remove a lot of the excess sodium.
What ingredients are included in these Canned Green Beans?
Bacon which always makes everything taste much better.
Can Green Beans or 2 pounds of fresh green beans (blanch fresh green beans for 5 minutes in salted water)
Parmesan cheese – NOT finely grated like powder (shredded is much better)
- To save time, I used minced garlic from a jar. Fresh garlic is so much better with a much stronger garlic taste. You may want to decrease the garlic if using fresh garlic.
- Use shredded Parmesan Cheese not finely grated.
Best Can Green BeansAuthor: Diane @recipesforourdailybreadRecipe type: vegetableCuisine: AmericanCook time:Total time:Ingredients
- Four pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 - 15 ounce can Green Beans or 2 pounds of fresh green beans (blanch fresh green beans for 5 minutes in salted water)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese - NOT finely grated like powder (shredded is much better)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and crumble it.
- Add it back to the skillet.
- Leave the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the garlic and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not burn.
- Next, DRAINED cans of green beans.
- Add the pepper and Italian seasoning
- Last, add the chicken broth and the Parmesan cheese.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
BEST SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH 3 TOPPINGS