A Patty Melt reminds me of a diner.
All my teenagers love a good Patty Melt, which is why I decided to try making them at home. This Patty Melt is made with very simple ingredients, and it is not difficult to prepare. One of my sons told me my Patty Melt was restaurant quality and the best one he has ever had. He compared it to the Patty Melt he always gets at Freddy’s read more about Freddy’s here. After this compliment, I knew I had hit a home run when preparing these simple Patty Melts. If you enjoy a good Melt, try this Patty Melt on your family and let me know what they say.
When forming the ground beef into patties, make the patties as thin as possible. My patties could have been even a little thinner. You also want to cook them on a very hot griddle. Pepperidge Farm Rye & Pump bread is my choice for this patty melt. It has pretty large slices, so I used two small burgers on each sandwich. Rye Bread is not my favorite, but I like the combination of this rye and pumpernickel bread.
What makes a Best Patty Melt?
- Sauteed onions
- a delicious sauce
- swiss cheese
- a thin burger cooked on a flat top or in a skillet
- a combination of rye & pumpernickel bread
- and bacon, see my oven fried bacon recipe!
Best Patty Melt
Author: Diane @Recipesforourdailybread.com
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- Add ½ teaspoon salt
- And ½ teaspoon pepper
- Plus, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Two tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients, Patty the hamburgers, and refrigerate for several hours.
- OVEN FRIED BACON
- This is truly the easiest way to prepare bacon. See my earlier post on making Oven Fried Bacon.
- Prepare 1 to 2 pieces of bacon for each Patty Melt.
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 2 to 3 medium onions
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste about ½ teaspoon each
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- Slice the onions thin and place them in a large skillet with the melted butter.
- Add the salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Sauté until caramelized.
- SAUCE FOR THE PATTY MELTS
- Mix ¼ cup mayo,
- ¼ cup ketchup,
- ¾ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Before I grilled the burger
- Melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter on the flat grill and toasted the bread.
- Instead of using all Rye bread, I used a combination of Rye and Pumpernickel.
- I like the bread I used. It was made by Pepperidge Farms.
- While the bread was toasting, I melted a slice of Swiss cheese on one slice of the bread.
- PREPARE THE RYE BREAD
- After toasting the bread, I removed it from the griddle and grilled the burgers.
- Once the burgers were almost done,
- add another piece of swiss cheese to each burger.
- BUILD THE PATTY MELT
- Place the piece of the rye bread with the melted swiss cheese on the bottom of the plate.
- Next, Add the burger (or two) with a piece of the melted Swiss cheese on each burger to the bread.
- Also, place onions and then a piece of bacon on the burger.
- Finally, Slather some sauce on the other slice of rye bread and place it on top of the onions and bacon. Enjoy!
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who follow our newsletter.