This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
WELCOME! Are you looking to make delicious Southern Green Beans? What could be better than green beans, potatoes, bacon, garlic, onion, chicken broth, pepper, and a hit of sugar?
Being a Southern Girl, I was raised on these green beans. Today, I still love these Southern Green Beans and I prepare them on special occasions. The only difference is I do not cook them until they are mushy like I grew up on. I like them tender but not cooked to death.
Growing Up With Fresh Green Beans
My father would get bushels of green beans, purple hull peas, every summer. I not sure where he would got our green beans from but he always got a ton. We would spend hours as a family stringing and snapping beans and peas. Most meals included a fresh pot of green beans or peas and cornbread during the summer.
Can I use something besides Bacon in these Green Beans?
Bacon is the most common seasoning for Southern Green Beans but if you have a ham bone left over it is perfect in these beans. Boil the bone down using the chicken broth until the meat falls off or pulls off easily. If you are using a honey ham bone, you do not need to add the sugar to the beans. They will be perfectly sweet enough.
Green Beans Were Finger Foods In My House
When my kids were at the age of eating finger foods, I would prepare a large pot of these Southern Green Beans. They loved them especially my twin boys. I would cook them al dente and put them in a snack container for them to eat. Not only did they eat them as a snack during the day but I carried green beans everywhere we went. They loved them!
Be sure to continue reading for my crock pot green beans, green bean casserole and more.
For your convenience, below are the products used in this post.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
- 3 pounds of fresh green beans, (fresh is better but you can use frozen green beans)
- 10 New potatoes, washed and cut into bite sizes (or small golden potatoes)
- One small red onion, diced small
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- one cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- one teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Fry the bacon in a large dutch oven on medium heat
- Remove the bacon
- Saute the garlic and chopped onions until the onions are tender
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar
- Add the green beans
- Cook until beans are tender about 1 hours on low simmer heat
- TIME WILL DEPEND ON HOW HIGH YOUR HEAT IS ON YOUR STOVE.
- DO NOT OVER COOK GREEN BEANS! THEY WILL GET MUSHY
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
FIND OUT HOW TO MAKE BEST CANNED GREEN BEANS
BEST CROCK POT CHEESY GREEN BEANS
Fresh Green Bean Bundles
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.