I just love this combination of sweet potatoes with the blackened chicken which is why I created this Blackened Chicken-Mashed Sweet Potatoes. It is sweet and spicy my favorite combination.
It gives your mouth a spicy, sweet kick. The Creamy Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes are delicious, but when you top them with spicy blackened chicken, some sweet caramelized onions, and a splash of Worcestershire Sauce on top, it makes this dish a special treat. This is my version of one of my favorite meals at Copeland’s Restaurant.
Copeland’s have a which is wonderful and inspired me to create something similar. Instead of grilling my chicken, I chop it into bite size pieces and sauté it with blackening seasoning. You can also bake or grill the chicken. I added this chicken on top of a large mound of Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Next, I added some caramelized onions and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. I hope your family enjoys this combination as much as my family does.
Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes – The touch of maple syrup is perfect in these mashed sweet potatoes.
- Heat 1 TB butter and 1 TB olive oil
- add two onions, sliced thin.
- Next, sprinkle one half tsp salt
- And, ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONIONS
- Cook the onions on medium heat in the butter and olive oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar.
- This will take about 20 minutes.
- I also have a recipe for Crock-Pot Caramelized onions.
- INGREDIENTS MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Two sticks butter
- ½ cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- INSTRUCTIONS MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Add the potatoes to a large Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Next, drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the Dutch oven and add the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mash with a hand potato masher or an electric mixer on low-speed until creamy.
- Blackened Chicken (see recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Caramelized Onions)
- INGREDIENTS FOR BLACKENED CHICKEN
- Boneless Chicken Breast, Cut into bite size pieces.
- Blackening Seasonings
- ½ teaspoon for each chicken breast
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR BLACKENED CHICKEN
- Cut up four chicken breast into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle them with blackening seasonings and toss to coat all sides.
- Saute them in a hot skillet with 3 TB of vegetable oil.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the skillet and sauté the onions.
- Sprinkle the chicken breast well with blackening seasoning and
- Bake the chicken at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 170 degrees.
- Recipes feed 7 to 8 people
Place the blackened chicken on top of the mashed sweet potatoes. Top with the onions and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,750 people who follow our newsletter.