This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
I just love this combination of sweet potatoes with the blackened chicken which is why I created this Blackened Chicken-Mashed Sweet Potatoes. It is sweet and spicy my favorite combination.
It gives your mouth a spicy, sweet kick. The Creamy Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes are delicious, but when you top them with spicy blackened chicken, some sweet caramelized onions , and a splash of Worcestershire Sauce on top, it really makes this dish a special treat. This is my version of one of my favorite meals at Copeland’s Restaurant. They have a Wood Grilled Chicken with Yams which is really wonderful and inspired me to create something similar. Instead of grilling my chicken, I chop it into bite size pieces and sauté it with blackening seasoning. You can also bake or grill the chicken. I added this chicken on top of a large mound of Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Next, I added some caramelized onions and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. I hope your family enjoys this combination as much as my family does.
Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes – The touch of maple syrup is perfect in these mashed sweet potatoes.
- Heat 1 TB butter and 1 TB olive oil
- add 2 onions, sliced thin.
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONIONS
- Cook the onions on medium heat in the butter and olive oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar.
- This will take about 20 minutes.
- I also have a recipe for Crock-Pot Caramelized onions.
- INGREDIENTS MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks butter
- ½ cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- INSTRUCTIONS MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Add the potatoes to a large Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Next, drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the dutch oven and add the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar,cinnamon and salt.
- Mash with a hand potato masher or an electric mixer on low-speed until creamy.
- Blackened Chicken (see recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Caramelized Onions)
- INGREDIENTS FOR BLACKENED CHICKEN
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breast, Cut into bite size pieces.
- Blackening Seasonings
- ½ teaspoon for each chicken breast
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR BLACKENED CHICKEN
- Cut up 4 chicken breast into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle them with blackening seasonings and toss to coat all sides.
- Saute them in a hot skillet with 3 TB of vegetable oil.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the skillet and sauté the onions.
- Sprinkle the chicken breast well with blackening seasoning and
- Bake the chicken at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 170 degrees.
- Recipes feeds 7 to 8 people
Place the blackened chicken on top of the mashed sweet potatoes. Top with the onions and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce.