Get your entire family involved in the kitchen making these great tasting buttermilk waffles.
Buttermilk waffles are a family favorite at my house. It seems like most kids love waffles. These buttermilk waffles are a family favorite for weekends. The buttermilk, pecans, and vanilla are a great combination in these homemade waffles. Cooking waffles is a great way to get your family involved in the kitchen. Have someone measure all the dry ingredients while others work on measuring the wet ingredients. Everyone could take turns using the waffle iron to make their waffle. This could all be done while the bacon is cooking in the oven. See my post on oven fried bacon.
I hope you take time with your children over the next few weeks while they are out of school and spend some quality time in the kitchen. Everyone will learn how to work together along with many other valuable lessons.
- 1 - ½ cups pecans, chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- One tsp salt
- Three tsp baking powder
- One tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 TB pure vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Serve with Warm Maple Butter Syrup
- 1-1/2 cups Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup real butter (2 sticks)
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, buttermilk, and vanilla. Combine the flour mixture a little at a time into the wet mixture.
- The batter will be lumpy.
- Preheat the waffle iron and brush with melted butter or spray with a cooking spray. Pour about ½ to ⅔ cup of waffle battle into the waffle iron depending on the size of your waffle iron. Spread the batter to the edges of the waffle iron. Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of chopped pecans.
- Put enough batter to go almost to the edge of the waffle maker (I used ⅔ cup). I also add chopped pecans.
Cook until golden brown. You can keep the waffles warm in the oven just place the cooked waffles on a baking sheet and put the oven on warm. This recipe will make 6 to 8 waffles depending on the size of your waffle maker.
Heat maple syrup and butter until melted. Serve on top of the waffles.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,750 people who follow our newsletter.