You can find Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole in any Southern cookbook. So, why am I adding a post about this Crock Pot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole?
I made this Crockpot cheesy Hash Brown Casserole for years in the oven, but I decided to try these cheesy potatoes in the crockpot. It is a great way to free up oven space when you are cooking multiple things. This Hash Brown Casserole is a wonderful side dish to ham, turkey, chicken or beef entrees. Try these cheesy Hash Browns instead of a baked potato. For an extra treat, add 6 to 8 slices of crumbled bacon in these potatoes. I had the crumbled bacon ready for this casserole and completely forgot to add it. No one noticed the bacon was missing. The potatoes were great anyway. If you enjoy Hash Brown Casserole, try my Slow Cooker Cheesy Hash Browns & Ham recipe below. It is great for dinner or even breakfast.
What recipe did I adapt?
The original recipe is from Tried & True Secret Recipes Cookbook by Ron Douglas. If you are preparing these potatoes in the oven, it calls for 2 cups of crushed Corn Flakes mixed with 1/4 cup butter for the topping. For my crock-pot version, I omitted the topping and added shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I did not think the Corn Flakes would get crispy in the crockpot. I also added 1 teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning for additional flavor. I hope your family enjoys these Crockpot Hash Brown Potatoes as much as our family does.
- * 32 ounces frozen hash browns, thawed, not shredded
- * ½ cup butter, melted
- * 1 medium onion, chopped
- * 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- * 8 ounces sour cream
- * 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- * ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- * ½ teaspoon black pepper
- * 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup to mix with hash browns and 1 cup for topping
- Mix together the cream of chicken soup, melted butter, onion, sour cream, pepper, garlic, and Cajun seasoning, and hash browns.
- Add 1 cup of cheese on top of everything.
- Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours in your crock-pot.
- Potatoes should be creamy. Do not over cook!