This Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings is so much easier to make than homemade version. Everything is made in the crock pot and biscuits are the dumplings.
O.K. southerners, I know we say Chick’n n Dumplins and not Chicken & Dumplings. After all I did grow up in South Alabama and have lived all over the south. I was just afraid everyone would think I cannot spell which is why I try to write sentences better than I would normally speak. Trust me, I often type southern slang while writing a post, but most of the time my family reads my posts before they go live and guilts me into changing my slang words. So, if you say Chicken & Dumplings or Chickin N Dumplins, keep reading to see why I love this Easy Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings
I have already posted a recipe for made from scratch Chicken and Dumplings, but I wanted to give you this Easy Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings. Although the made from scratch Chicken and Dumplings are wonderful, they require extra steps and work. Since my blog is all about giving you quick, easy, and delicious recipes to help put dinner on the table fast, this recipe falls into the easy and delicious categories. My kids rave about the slow cooker version just as much as the made from scratch version. Because it is much easier to make, I tend to prepare it more often. I hope your family will enjoy this Slow Cooker Chicken n Dumplings and fix it often also.
Have some family time with your children or grandchildren in the kitchen. As parents, one of our jobs is to teach our children the Word of God. Deuteronomy 11:19 “Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
To me, there is no better place to do this than in the kitchen. I love to use food as a building block to teach the Bible. So, when it comes time to add the dumplings, let the kids use a right knife for their age and cut the biscuits into quarters. They can cut each quarter into a cross. This would also be a good time to talk about how Jesus died on the cross for their sins. Use some bible verses like 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 or John 3:16.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 celery ribs, chopped very small
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 - 12 ounce cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 - 12 ounce can of Cream of Celery Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-16 ounce cans of refrigerated biscuits, cut into fourths
- Spray crock-pot with a cooking spray.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with pepper, salt and Cajun seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, chopped celery, Cream of Chicken Soup, cream of celery soup, chicken stock, and bay leaves.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred into small pieces.
- Return the chicken back to the crock-pot.
- Flatten each biscuit and cut the biscuits into quarters and drop them into the crock-pot.
- Put the lid back on the crock-pot and cook the dumplings at least an hour on high OR until dumplings are done.
Crock-Pot Chicken and Dumplings – recipe adapted from 101 Slow-Cooker recipes by Gooseberry Patch