This Ham and Spinach Grilled Cheese is Carly, my oldest daughter’s, favorite sandwich. She came up with this and calls it her healthier grilled cheese.
I did not eat a lot of cold sandwiches growing up, but I did eat a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches. To me, nothing is better than warm buttery bread with melted ooey-gooey cheese. The kind of sandwich when you bite into it, and it leaves strings of cheese dangling everywhere. If the sandwich leaves a string of cheese on your chin, you know it is an excellent grilled cheese. I love a cheesy grilled cheese on a cold day. It is a pure pleasure to dunk it into a warm bowl of soup, especially tomato soup. But I also enjoy a gooey grilled cheese anytime and anywhere. Grilled cheese is hot and comforting to me.
After I had children, I continued my love for grilled cheese sandwiches by preparing them for my kids. I made them on the Panini grill, in the oven when making a bunch at one time, but my favorite way to fix a grilled cheese is in a skillet. The saying “Everything is better with butter” is true. The butter helps make the bread extremely toasty and delicious. If everyone in my family is eating a grilled cheese, sometimes I will prepare them in the oven on a large sheet pan. I can cook a bunch at one time. Even if cooking them in the oven, I still spread the top and bottom of the sandwich with a little butter or mayonnaise. Believe it or not, a little mayonnaise will give the bread a beautiful golden color too.
Carly inherited my love of grilled cheese, but one day decided to kick it up. She added some honey, spicy mustard, Cajun season and spinach and called it her Grown-Up Grilled Cheese. Carly has been making this sandwich ever since she was a teenager. She will be 24 years old this month. Carly is an amazing young woman with a love for God. She recently started her third year of medical school and pursuing a dream of becoming a . See her white coat ceremony . She still loves her grown-up grilled cheese especially when mom makes her one.
To build this Grown-Up Grilled Cheese…
To spice up this Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with flavor…
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- One tablespoon honey
- One tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 to 4 slices cheese, depending on the size of your bread
- 2 to 4 slices ham, depending on the thickness
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and spicy mustard
- Add the honey and spicy mustard to one side of two pieces of bread.
- Add a slice of cheese on top of the honey and spicy mustard on both pieces of bread.
- Layered the ham on top of one of the pieces of cheese.
- Add the spinach on top of the ham.
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning on top of the spinach.
- Place the other piece of bread with the honey, spicy mustard and cheese on top of the spinach.
- Butter the top outside piece of bread.
- SKILLET METHOD
- Add it to a medium hot skillet. If the skillet is too hot the sandwich will burn. I like to place a lid on top for a couple of minutes. Make sure the sandwich is not burning.
- Butter the top of the sandwich and flip it over.
- Cook until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown.
- TO BAKE A LOT OF THESE SANDWICHES IN OVEN
- Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- PANINI GRILL
- You can also place this sandwich on a panini grill and cook until golden brown.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who follow our newsletter.