This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
Thank you for stopping by Recipes For Our Daily Bread to see this delicious Layered Lettuce Salad.
Will the men in your family eat a “Girly” Salad? This Layered Lettuce Salad has the approval of the men in my family.
Layered Lettuce Salad
My husband and my 16-year-old sons will not eat a girly salad. You know what I am talking about. My favorite “girly” salads have things like sweetened pecans, almonds, apples, pears, strawberries, and more. This layered lettuce salad must NOT be a girly salad because the men in my family love it. In fact, this is my husband’s favorite salad. It is a staple at our house for any get-together or potluck dinner. The ingredients in this salad are very simple. This salad is layered and beautiful. It is usually presented in a large glass bowl so that you can see the beautiful layers. I typically layer this salad in my large glass trifle bowl. A trifle bowl sets up higher than a regular glass bowl and makes for an even more stunning presentation. This time, I did not layer this salad in my trifle bowl. It was chipped, so I used a 9×13 glass baking dish. It was still pretty and very delicious!
This salad includes Lettuce – I used a spring mix, peas, red onion, dried cranberries, boiled eggs, mayonnaise, sugar, bacon, cheddar cheese, and almonds or your favorite nuts. I love to top this salad with cranberries for the holidays.
I love to top this salad with these Cranberries & Glazed Walnuts instead of the almonds at Christmas time.
INGREDIENTS FOR LAYERED SALAD – Adapted from Southern Plate cookbook by Christy Jordan.
- 6 cups chopped lettuce (I used a spring mix)
- One can green peas
- One medium red or purple onion chopped fine
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Three hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Two tablespoon sugar
- Five slices bacon, cooked hard and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Mix the mayo and sugar together.
- Layer everything in order in a beautiful trifle bowl or 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap
Tips when making this layered salad:
- If you use a trifle bowl or a large glass bowl, you can see all the beautiful layers. When using a trifle bowl, you do not get enough dressing on the salad by adding it on top of the salad. While building this layered lettuce salad, may want to add the dressing half way and on top of the salad.
- If you wash your lettuce, be sure to dry it completely.
- Put together this salad the same day you eat it. It will get soggy the longer it sits.
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.