If you enjoy lemon desserts, you will love this luscious Lemon Poppy Seed Cake!
While the cake is warm, you poke holes and drizzle the lemon juice mixed with sugar all over both sides of the cake. YUMMY!
LUSCIOUS LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE
I was thrilled to be able to review Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook. I reviewed Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove Cookbook a few months ago, so my anticipation for her Christmas cookbook was extremely high. Her BBQ Chicken & Lemon Poppy Seed Cake I made was easy to prepare and outstanding.
You probably already know that Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She has written over 100 novels including the very popular Cedar Cove series. The earlier this fall. If you missed the Cedar Cove series this year, it would be back this coming year.
What did I think about Debbie Macomber’s Christmas Cookbook?
I prepared this Lemon Poppy Seed Cake and her Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes. Both of these recipes were delicious. Debbie’s Christmas cookbook categories include:
Merry Morning Breakfast
Christmas and Christmas Eve Dinner
Cooking with Grandma
Easy Family Dinners
This contest is open to U.S. residents and will end on Sunday, November 24, 2013. The winner will be notified by email. They will have 48 hours to reply.
Debbie Macomber gave me this Christmas Cookbook to give away, however, the opinions I am expressing are indeed 100% my own.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake & Giveaway 11/24/13
Recipe type: dessert
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup poppy seeds
- One tablespoon grated lemon zest
- One tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups plus one tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 - ½ cups granulated sugar
- Three large eggs, at room temperature
- Two teaspoons vanilla extract
- GLAZE -
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, about two lemons
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter and flour a nine by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together sour cream, poppy seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice, & lemon extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour & baking soda.
- In a large bowl use electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and blended.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in vanilla.
- Alternate the flour and the sour cream into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat until just blended. Do Not Over Mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wired rack and cook for 10 minutes.
- FOR GLAZE
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm juice, and sugar until sugar dissolves into a syrup.
- Invert cake onto wire rack. Using a toothpick, poke holes all over the cake: Brush with some of the syrup. Set cake right side up, pokes holes in the top of cake and brush with remaining syrup. Cool completely on the rack.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,750 people who follow our newsletter.