This Mexican Cornbread goes great with Tex-Mex dishes. Try it with Chicken Tortilla soup, chili, enchiladas, or even a simple taco ring.
I know what you are thinking “Here she goes again with another Cornbread recipe.” Well, I do love cornbread for many reasons. It is not only a great side dish that goes with all sorts of southern foods, but it can also be a meal with the right ingredients like in this Mexican Cornbread.
I use my basic buttermilk cornbread recipe to make this Mexican cornbread. Instead of the buttermilk, I added a can of corn, Mexican cheese, and some salsa. It is moist and delicious. In 2011, I read that Little Rock, AR along with South Pittsburg, TN, and Mansfield, Indiana celebrated their love for Cornbread by having a Cornbread Festival. I guess that I am not the only one who loves Cornbread. I have several other cornbread recipes that I cannot wait to share with you.Print
- 1 cup plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs, beaten
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup Mexican shredded cheese
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir in salsa, eggs, corn and cheese.
- Bake in a cast iron skillet.
- Bake 325 degrees about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 5,000 people who follow our newsletter.