This Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is so simple to make. It is a great meat and potato hearty meal. I loaded it up with sausage, ham, potatoes and cheese.
I have made Ham Potato Soup for years but never thought about making it in my slow cooker. To make this soup, I normally precook the potatoes on top of the stove for this soup. Precooking the potatoes is an unnecessary step when preparing potato soup in a slow cooker. Using my slow cooker, I make a Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup. This time I decided to replace the bacon with sausage and added some ham. I browned the sausage and tossed it into the slow cooker. Next, I simply cut my raw potatoes up and tossed them in the bottom of my slow cooker. I added all the rest of the ingredients and let the slow cooker do all the work. It was not only much easier to make, but simply delicious and perfect for a cold winter night. If you want a warm meat and potatoes hearty meal, this Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Potato Soup is perfect.
I used Petit Jean Hickory Smoked Ham in this soup. Petit Jean is a delicious smoked ham company from Arkansas.
The main purpose for Recipes for our Daily Bread is to encourage families to cook together and eat around the table together. For a busy family, cooking and eating around the table together can be an extremely difficult challenge. Try using your slow cooker more often and see if it will help with this challenge.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
The following items were used to make this recipe.
Just for Fun: Collegiate Slow Cooker
Want To Download 8 More Slow Cooker Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who receive our newsletter.
- 8 large raw potatoes, cubed (you can peel them or wash them well and leave the peeling on)
- 2 medium onions, chopped very fine (I chop mine in my mini food processor)
- 1 pound ground sausage, browned
- 1 pound ham, chopped into small pieces (I use Petit Jean Hickory Smoked Ham)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- Plus, one half teaspoon pepper
- And, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- One half teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups Sharp Shredded cheese
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup half n half
- Wash the potatoes and leave the skins on OR peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and toss them into the slow cooker.
- Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker, except the cheese, flour and half & half.
- Cover and cook on high 3 hours or low 5 hours.
- Half way through cooking, add the Half n Half and a cup of stock from the pot with the flour.
- Make a slurry.
- Stir until all lumps are gone.
- Add the paste mixture to the slow cooker with the slow cooker on high.
- Add the cheese to the slow cooker just before serving.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who follow our newsletter.