This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.
What happens when you mix southern cornbread with southwestern flavors? You get this delicious Southwestern Cornbread Salad.
This is my version of the Cornbread Salad I grew up eating. My Southwestern Cornbread Salad includes black beans instead of the usually pinto beans, plus corn, bell pepper, purple onion, chopped tomato, grated cheddar cheese, sliced eggs, and a dressing combination of Ranch dressing, Salsa, and Mexican or Fajita seasoning. Cornbread salad usually has pinto beans in it and is topped with Ranch dressing. My husband said this salad is a southwestern, southern cornbread salad. Whatever you want to call it, it turned out to be a delicious combination. Use a large bowl. This salad feeds a crowd.
If serving this cornbread salad as a side dish, it will serve at least 20 people.
- You can reduce the amount of this salad by using one can of corn and one can of black beans.
If you are not a southwestern fan, top this salad with Ranch dressing.
- Made a homemade cornbread or use a 16-ounce box cornbread.
Southwestern Cornbread Salad
Author: DIANE @RECIPESFOROURDAILYBREAD
Recipe type: SALAD
- A Skillet of Cornbread (see my recipe) or 16 ounces boxed cornbread, baked
- 2 cans Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 2 cans Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ bell pepper, chopped small
- ½ red onion, chopped small
- 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked hard and crumbled
- 4 boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup Ranch dressing
- ¾ Salsa
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning
- Crumble the cornbread in a large bowl, save about 1 cup of cornbread to garnish on top.
- Add the drained corn and black beans.
- Pour half of the dressing on top.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes and add to the salad.
- Cook & Crumble the bacon and add it to the salad.
- Slice 4 boiled eggs and layer in the salad.
- Add the rest of the dressing.
- Top with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Add a cup of the crumbled cornbread to the top of the salad.
- Mix ranch dressing, and salsa, plus two teaspoons Mexican seasoning.
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.