These fun, festive St. Patrick’s Day Dipped Pretzel Rods are easy for the whole family to make and enjoy.
What do you need to make these sweet and salty St. Patrick’s Day treats?
To make these St. Patrick’s Day treats, you only need a few ingredients including white chocolate, green candy melts, assorted green candies like green mini M & M’s, Andy’s Baking Mints and sprinkles.
What Chocolate Should You Use?
To make a good tasting dipped anything, you have to have good chocolate or at least chocolate that you enjoy eating. In my case, I love Ghirardelli chocolate! After visiting San Francisco years ago and Ghirardelli, I was sold on their chocolate especially their hot fudge. Anyway, if you are eating something dipped in chocolate it needs to takes delicious. For this reason, I am not a fan of candy melts. However, candy melts make it so easy to add color to any food dipped in it. I have found that dipping the pretzels in white chocolate first and then adding a little color with candy melts, candy or sprinkles work great.
Where Can You Find Candy Melts?
Look in the cake decorating section of any craft store or grocery? I purchased the candy melts from Walmart.
When dipping these St. Patrick’s Day Strawberries:
First, dip them into melted white chocolate (Ghirardelli) and let it slightly dry, a minute or two.
After the white chocolate dries, add the green candy melts as a drizzle or a little on the ends of the pretzels.
St. Patrick’s Day Dipped Pretzel Rod Tips
You can use any Ghirardelli chocolate chips melted with two tablespoons shortening, not butter shortening. Melt in microwave for one minute. Stir constantly. If needed, put the chocolate back in the microwave for another 15 seconds and stir until smooth. Take it slow and do not over cook the chocolate.
If you are adding nuts or thick candy like M & M’s, allow the pretzels to dry for a minute or two. The heavier nuts and candy will slide off if the pretzel has not dried some.
If adding nuts and candy, allow pretzels to dry but DO NOT let it dry all the way. The chocolate has to be slightly wet or sticky.
- When working with chocolate, it is always best to keep it warm. Use it quickly, so you will not have to reheat it in the microwave. It will dry it out.
Use wide mouth MASON JARS, one per different type of chocolate, candy melts or Almond Bark and add the chips to the Mason Jars.
Place the jars in a slow cooker.
Fill the slow cooker with hot water half way up the Mason Jars.
Do not get any water inside the Mason Jars on the chocolate.
Turn the slow cooker on high
Do not cover the slow cooker with the lid or anything else. Moisture from the lid will drip on the chocolate.
The chocolate will be totally melted after 30 minutes.
Once the chocolate melts, turn the slow cooker to low.
The chocolate will keep drizzle consistency for at least an hour.
If you are in a hurry, melt the chocolate jars in the microwave for one minute and stir. Place them in the slow cooker surrounded by hot water. Once the slow cooker heats up, turn it down on low.
For your convenience, below are the products used in this post.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
- Pretzel Rods
- One – 11-ounce bag of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips(or two cups of chips)
- 2 Tablespoons of Shortening
- Two bags Ghirardelli Baking Wafers
- Red or Pink Wilton Candy Melts Wafers
- Use Red or Pink Valentine’s Sprinkles
- Pink or Red Assorted Candies like mini baking M & M’s
- MELT CHOCOLATE
- Melt in the microwave for one minute. Stir constantly. If need, put it back int he
- microwave, for another 15 seconds.
- I used 2 cups of Ghirardelli White Chocolate
- OR MELT Ghirardelli Baking Wafers As directed on package.
- Melt Wilton Candy Melts as directed on package.
- Dip Strawberries and add sprinkles and candy.
- If you are adding heavy candy, let the strawberry dry for about a minute but NOT completely dry. It should be sticky. The heavy candy will slide off if you add them before the strawberries dry a minute.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who follow our newsletter.