I am thankful you stopped by to check out this moist meatloaf recipe. This meatloaf recipe turns out perfect every time.
I am not here to give only give you a moist meatloaf recipe but teach you how to cook it. If you have not made meatloaf lately because you need a good recipe, try this incredibly moist meatloaf. It has a sweet, tangy, flavorful sauce.
If you love cooking with a slow cooker, be sure to check out my this crockpot meatloaf recipe.
Secrets to Moist Meatloaf
One of my secrets to this very moist meat is to use a meat thermometer. As soon as the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees, remove it from the oven. The meat will continue cooking until it reaches around 170 degrees. DO NOT over cook it. It needs to be moist! Overcooking it will dry it out, which is probably why a lot of people do not eat meatloaf in the first place
What kind of pan do I use to cook my super moist meatloaf?
What meatloaf pan should you use?
You can prepare meatloaf in virtually any pan as long as you are using a meat thermometer to check for doneness. The meatloaf will get done at different times when cooking this recipe in different size pans. In the pictures below, I use a meatloaf pan, a cupcake pan, and a cast iron skillet. I now have a mini meatloaf pan. See links below. The cast iron skillet meatloaf will cook faster because the meatloaf will be thinner. Most of the time I double this meatloaf recipe and make it in several different pans. The meatloaf we eat for dinner on the same day I prepare it I cook the meatloaf either in a meatloaf pan or my favorite way is to use my cast iron skillet. If using a cast iron skillet, you will have to drain the meat once it is removed from the oven.
Ten minutes before the meatloaf is done, I remove it from the oven, drain the grease, and put the other half of the sauce on the meatloaf. I return it back to the oven for another ten minutes of cooking. If I am going to freeze some of the meatloaves, I like using my muffin tins.
The meatloaf I am cooking to put in the freezer I use my cupcake pan or mini meatloaf pan. I freeze the individual meatloaves in a large zip lock bag.
This meatloaf recipe can be frozen.
Meatloaf Recipe Adapted From:
Miss Daisy Celebrates Tennessee is where my basic recipe came from although I have changed it a little over the years. I used 3 pounds of ground beef instead of 2 lbs. I also used 1/2 chopped bell pepper, 1/2 cup oats, Worcestershire Sauce, and tomato sauce instead of catsup.
Meatloaf Sauce Ingredients
The sauce is made using vinegar, dark brown sugar, ketchup, and Worcestershire Sauce. It is delicious! If you are not a fan, you might become one after trying this recipe with this sweet and tangy sauce.
After the meatloaves are cooked, drained, and cooled, I place them in a zip-lock gallon freezer bag and freeze them. They disappear quickly. My son loves meatloaf and pops these in the microwave often.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup oats
- One med onion, very finely chopped (see picture)
- ½ bell pepper, very finely chopped (see picture)
- Two tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- One tablespoon chopped garlic
- One beaten egg
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- One tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Eight tablespoons vinegar
- Eight tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Four tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup catsup
- Combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, oats, egg, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Shape into one large loaf or use muffin tins for individual loaves. SEE PICTURES
- Next, Add ½ of the sauce before baking.=
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes for a large loaf.
- To tell if the Meatloaf is done, especially if you are cooking with different size pans, is to use a meat thermometer.
- The meat loaf is done once it reaches 170 F degrees but takes it out of the oven at 165 degrees. This will keep it from drying out. Meatloaf will finish cooking. If using muffin tins or another pan that does not drain the grease away, remove the meatloaf from the pan to drain after taking it out of the oven.
- Drain the grease from the meatloaf if you are not using a meatloaf pan.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- After you bring the sauce to a boil, cut the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour half of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf before you bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes if using a meatloaf pan.]
- Be sure to add the rest of the sauce to the meatloaf 10 minutes before removing the meatloaf from the oven.
This moist recipe is featured on Recipe Magic.