If you have not made meatloaf lately because you need a good recipe, try this extremely moist meatloaf recipe with a sweet and tangy flavorful sauce. This sauce with the meatloaf makes it perfect.
The sauce is made using vinegar, dark brown sugar, ketchup, and Worcestershire Sauce. It is really tasty! If you are not a meatloaf fan, you might become one after trying this Moist Meatloaf Recipe. One of my secrets to this very moist meatloaf is to use a meat thermometer. As soon as the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees, remove it from the oven. The meatloaf will continue cooking until it reaches around 170 degrees. DO NOT over cook meatloaf. It needs to be moist! Overcooking it will definitely dry it out, which is probably why a lot of people do not eat meatloaf in the first place.
I usually double this Moist Meatloaf Recipe. I cook some for our dinner and I freeze the rest. I use several different pans to cook the meatloaf including my meatloaf pan (it has holes in the bottom to drain the grease), muffin pan, individual size pound cake tins, and my cast iron skillet. My favorite way to prepare meatloaf is in my cast iron skillet. It cooks faster than my meatloaf pan because the meatloaf is spread thinner. Ten minutes before the meatloaf is done, I remove it from the oven, drain the grease, and put the other half of the sauce on the meatloaf. I return it back to the oven for another ten minutes of cooking. If I am going to freeze some of the meatloaf, I like using my muffin tins. After the meatloaves are cooked, drained, and cooled, I place them in a zip-lock gallon freezer bag and freeze them. They disappear quickly. My son loves meatloaf and pops these in the microwave often.
If you love cooking with your slow cooker, be sure to check out my slow cooker meatloaf.
Meat Loaf Recipe – Miss Daisy Celebrates Tennessee is where my basic recipe came from although I have changed it a little over the years. I used 3 pounds of ground beef instead of 2 pounds. I also used 1/2 chopped bell pepper, 1/2 cup oats, Worcestershire Sauce, and tomato sauce instead of catsup.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup oats
- 1 med onion, very finely chopped (see picture)
- ½ bell pepper, very finely chopped (see picture)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 beaten egg
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, oats, egg, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Shape into one large loaf or use muffin tins for individual loaves. SEE PICTURES
- Add ½ of the sauce before baking.
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes for a large loaf.
- The best way to tell if the meatloaf is done, especially if you are cooking with different size pans, is to use meat thermometer.
- The meat loaf is done once it reaches 170 F degrees but take it out of the oven at 165 degrees. This will keep it from drying out. It will finish cooking. If using muffin tins or another pan that does not drain the grease away, remove the meatloaf from the pan to drain after taking it out of the oven.
- 8 tablespoons vinegar
- 8 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup catsup
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- After you bring the sauce to a boil, cut the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour half of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf before you bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, if using a meatloaf pan.
- Add the rest of the sauce to the meatloaf 10 minutes before removing the meatloaf from the oven.
I double my sauce recipe to serve with the meatloaf or over some mashed potatoes.