Valentine’s Day Dipped Pretzels Rods are the perfect sweet, salty and beautiful treat. You whole family will enjoy them, and your kids will love making them.
Looking for easy recipes for Valentine’s Day? These Valentine’s Day dipped pretzel rods are super cute and incredibly easy to make. Make some special memories with your kids this Valentine’s Day by allowing them to dip these pretty pretzel rods.
Be sure to use the ARROWS at the top and bottom of this page to see the second page for Valentine’s Day Strawberry dipping tips.
I am not a fan of the flavor of candy melts. However, candy melts make it so easy to add color to any food dipped in it. You can find them located in a craft store of grocery store in the cake decorating section. I purchased them from Walmart.
When dipping these St. Patrick’s Day pretzels:
- First, dip them into melted white chocolate (Ghirardelli) and let it slightly dry, a minute or two.
- After the white chocolate dries, add the candy melts as a drizzle or a little on the ends of the pretzels.
Valentine’s Day Strawberry Dipping Tips:
- You can use any Ghirardelli chocolate chips melted with two tablespoons shortening, not butter shortening. Melt in microwave for one minute. Stir constantly. If needed, put the chocolate back in the microwave for another 15 seconds and stir until smooth. Take it slow and do not over cook the chocolate.
- If you are adding nuts or thick candy like M & M’s, allow the strawberry to dry for a minute or two. The heavier nuts and candy will slide off if the strawberry has not dried some.
- If adding nuts and candy, allow the strawberries to dry but DO NOT let it dry all the way. The chocolate has to be slightly wet or sticky.
- When working with chocolate, it is always best to keep it warm. Use it quickly, so you will not have to reheat it in the microwave. It will dry it out.
What Chocolate Should You Use?
To make a good tasting dipped anything, you have to have good chocolate or at least chocolate that you enjoy eating. In my case, I love Ghirardelli chocolate! After visiting San Francisco years ago and Ghirardelli, I was sold on their chocolate especially their hot fudge. Anyway, if you are eating something dipped in chocolate it needs to takes delicious. For this reason, I am not a fan of candy melts. However, candy melts make it so easy to add color to any food dipped in it. I have found that dipping the pretzels in white chocolate first and then adding a little color with candy melts, candy or sprinkles work great.
Melting Chocolate in Slow Cooker VS. Microwave
After years of dipping chocolate covered pretzels, strawberries, Rice Krispie Treats and more, I have found that the easiest way is to melt the chocolate in a slow cooker. You may think melting the chocolate in the microwave is easier, but the problem with the melt microwave chocolate is it gets hard after a couple of minutes. I used my slow cooker to make chocolate dipped Oreo’s.
THE BEST CHOCOLATE DIPPING MELTING TIP!
I used 2 cups of Ghirardelli White Chocolate
- One bag Ghirardelli White & Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoon of shortening.
- Use wide mouth MASON JARS, one per different type of chocolate, candy melts or Almond Bark and add the chips to the Mason Jars.
- Place the jars in a slow cooker.
- Fill the slow cooker with hot water half way up the Mason Jars.
- Do not get any water inside the Mason Jars on the chocolate.
Turn the slow cooker on high
- Do not cover the slow cooker with the lid or anything else. Moisture from the lid will drip on the chocolate.
- The chocolate will be totally melted after 30 minutes.
- Once the chocolate melts, turn the slow cooker to low.
- The chocolate will keep drizzle consistency for at least an hour.
If you are in a hurry, melt the chocolate jars in the microwave for one minute and stir. Place them in the slow cooker surrounded by hot water. Once the slow cooker heats up, turn it down on low.
15 COOKIE RECIPES YOU MUST TRY
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
THE BEST TIP! Use wide mouth MASON JARS, one per different type of chocolate, candy melts or Almond Bark and add the chips to the Mason Jars. Place the jars in a slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker with hot water half way up the Mason Jars. Do not get any water in the Mason Jars on the chocolate. Turn the slow cooker on high and do not cover the slow cooker. The chocolate will be totally melted after 30 minutes. Once the chocolate is melted, turn the slow cooker to low. The chocolate will keep drizzle consistency for at least an hour.
- Pretzel Rod
- One – 11-ounce bag of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips(or two cups of chips)
- 2 Tablespoons of Shortening
- Two bags Ghirardelli Baking Wafers
- Red or Pink Wilton Candy Melts Wafers
- Use Red or Pink Valentine’s Sprinkles
- Pink or Red Assorted Candies like mini baking M & M’s
- MELT CHOCOLATE
- Melt in the microwave for one minute. Stir constantly. If need, put it back int he
- microwave, for another 15 seconds.
- I used 2 cups of Ghirardelli White Chocolate
- OR MELT Ghirardelli Baking Wafers As directed on package.
- Melt Wilton Candy Melts as directed on package.
- Dip Strawberries and add sprinkles and candy.
- If you are adding heavy candy, let the strawberry dry for about a minute but NOT completely dry. It should be sticky. The heavy candy will slide off if you add them before the strawberries dry a minute.
50 EASY RECIPES YOU MUST TRY
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.