11 Of The Best Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, You Must Try! Nothing is more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich.
No matter if you are eating a grilled cheese sandwich by itself or with a warm bowl of soup or a salad, it is the perfect comfort food. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are easy to make and ideal for a weeknight meal.
What is comfort food?
It is different for everyone. Comfort food has typically a memory attached to it. Like, when you bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie, and it always reminds you of baking cookies with your mom. To me, comfort food makes you feel better. It is the food that I crave when I am not feeling well. Probably, because I ate a lot of grilled cheeses growing up. I have never been a cold sandwich person. Why eat a cold sandwich when you can eat a gooey melted masterpiece. Nothing says comfort more to me than a grilled cheese sandwich especially if you add a warm bowl of soup. I hope you enjoy the following eleven grilled cheese sandwiches. You can see my top 50 comfort food recipes here.
World Food Champ
Being a Food Champ with World Food Championships has opened up a door for me to demonstrate recipes at Walmart. I would love to meet you!
This weekend August 25 – 26th come see me at Walmart in Jacksonville, Arkansas. I will be sharing recipe tips AND free samples using Walmart products!
Mark Your Calendars for September 15 – 16th. If you’re near Fayetteville, Arkansas from September 15-16, be sure to visit @Walmart Food Champ Diane Hill Roark of Recipes For Our Daily Bread!!
Meet a Food Champ at your local @Walmart SEE Schedule here:
Award Winning Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This post includes two grilled cheese sandwiches never seen on my blog before. I entered them both in the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Sandwich contest in 2018. My Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich video received $1000 for being a fan favorite sandwich. Both my Southern Grilled Cheese sandwich and my Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich made it into the top recipes for fans to vote. Both videos are below with the full step by step recipe.
Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What is in this Sweet & Salty Grilled Cheese?
The layers include Spicy Honey Mustard, Fried Apples, Sauteed Onions, Smoked Ham and Bacon, Havarti cheese plus cheddar cheese.
SWEET AND SALTY GRILLED CHEESE
- Four pieces Bacon cooked
- 1 slice sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 slices of Havarti cheese
- 3 slices smoked Ham
- Four pieces of bread
- SPICY HONEY MUSTARD
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TB spicy brown mustard
- 3 TB honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- One small onion
- Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- One teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- FRIED APPLES
- Two Apples
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- One teaspoon Apple pie spice
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and saute the onions until tender.
- Seasoning the onions with Seasoned salt.
- Heat the butter in a skillet.
- Add the apple, brown sugar, and apple pie spice and cook the apples until tender.
- Add mayonnaise to one side of each piece of bread and place the mayonnaise side face down on a griddle or skillet.
- On the top side of the bread, spread a tablespoon of Spicy Honey Mustard on each piece of bread.
- Add a piece of Havarti cheese on each slice of bread.
- Top one piece of bread and Havarti cheese with half the fried apples.
- On top of the fried apples add half the onions.
- Add two slices of Havarti cheese on top of the apples and onions.
- On top of the two slices of Havarti cheese add smoked ham.
- Next, layer on two slices of cooked bacon.
- The best way to cook this grilled cheese is to add a tablespoon of water beside it on the griddle or skillet and place a dome or lid over the sandwich.
- Steam until the cheese is gooey. Both sides of the bread should already be toasted.
Southern Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What is in this Southern Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
This sandwich is layered with BBQ Sauce, Chicken Breast, Jalapenos, Bacon, Fried potatoes, sauteed onions, Cheddar cheese, plus Havarti cheese. The combination explodes with flavor in your mouth.
SOUTHERN GRILLED CHEESE
- POTATOES AND ONIONS
- Two tablespoons vegetable oil.
- One baking potato sliced thin on mandoline
- One small onion sliced thin on mandoline
- One Chicken Breast baked with salt, pepper, and garlic
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Slice Bread four pieces
- Four teaspoons Jalapenos minced
- Four tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- one slice Havarti cheese
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- Peel the baking potato and onion.
- Using a mandolin, slice both the onion and potato.
- Add the oil to a skillet on medium heat and place the onions and potatoes in the skillet.
- Cook until tender and potatoes form a brown crust on them.
- Add a tablespoon of mayonnaise to each slice of bread and place the mayo side down in a griddle or skillet.
- Add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce to the top side of each piece of bread.
- Place two teaspoons of minced Jalapenos on the BBQ sauce.
- Add two pieces of sharp cheddar cheese on top of the BBQ sauce on both pieces of bread.
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally.
- Add one piece of the chicken breast on top of one piece of bread.
- Place two pieces of bacon on the chicken breast.
- Top the bacon with a slice of Havarti cheese.
- On the other side of the bread on top of the Jalapenos, layer on the fried potatoes and onions.
- Carefully close the sandwich.
- Add a tablespoon of water beside the grilled cheese and place a dome over the sandwich.
- Grilled until the cheese is gooey. Both sides of the bread should already be toasted
Do You Enjoy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches And Cheeseburgers?
This BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese includes the gooey cheesy goodness of a grilled cheese plus deliciousness of a BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger. It is the perfect marriage of two of my favorite things.
If You Enjoy Comforting Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, You Will Love This Gooey Delicious Chicken Bacon Ranch Grilled Cheese.
I am going to show you how to make this easy grilled cheese. See VIDEO ON BLOG POST.
This Gooey Pesto Chicken Grilled Cheese Simply Melts In Your Mouth. It Is A Delicious Spin On A Grilled Cheese.
What Is In This Pesto Chicken Grilled Cheese?
This grilled cheese includes pesto, chicken, two slices of Italian bread, three slices of Provolone cheese, bacon and a slice of tomato. It is creamy, gooey flavorful deliciousness.
Do You Love Grilled Cheese Sandwiches? Do You Like BBQ Sauce? If So, You Will Fall In Love With This BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese With Bacon. VIDEO ON BLOG.
Cayenne Ranch Chicken Grilled Cheese Ingredients include bacon, Pepper Jack cheese, Cayenne Ranch, and a cooked chicken breast I butterflied. SEE VIDEO ON BLOG POST.
I Love The Ham & Apple Sandwich So Much At KRINGLA Bakery In Norway (Epcot). I Decided To Make It At Home. Kringle Bakery uses Apple Chutney for the sauce on their Ham & Apple Sandwich. I used Apple Butter with Petit Jean Smoked Ham, a variety of apples, and Muenster cheese. The flavors of this sandwich just scream fall. I love the contrast of the sweetness of the apple butter and apple with the gooey cheese and delicious smoked ham.
This Ham and Spinach Grilled Cheese is Carly, my oldest daughter’s, favorite sandwich. She came up with this and calls it her healthier grilled cheese.
This Ham and Pineapple Grilled Cheese is a beautiful combination of sweet pineapple with salty ham and gooey cheese. It is a sandwich you will love.
You Will Love This Turkey And Cranberry Grilled Cheese. This Simple Sauce Made With Cranberry Sauce And Orange Marmalade Is Fabulous.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.