This post includes two grilled cheese sandwiches never seen on my blog before. I entered them both in the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Sandwich contest in 2018. My Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich video received $1000 for being a fan favorite sandwich. Both my Southern Grilled Cheese sandwich and my Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich have videos below with the full step by step recipe.
- Four pieces Bacon, cooked
- 1 slice sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 slices of Havarti cheese
- 3 slices smoked Ham
- Four pieces of bread
SPICY HONEY MUSTARD
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TB spicy brown mustard
- 3 TB honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- One small onion
- Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- One teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- Two Apples
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- One teaspoon Apple pie spice
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and saute the onions until tender.
- Seasoning the onions with Seasoned salt.
- Heat the butter in a skillet.
- Add the apple, brown sugar, and apple pie spice and cook the apples until tender.
- Add mayonnaise to one side of each piece of bread and place the mayonnaise side face down on a griddle or skillet.
- On the top side of the bread, spread a tablespoon of Spicy Honey Mustard on each piece of bread.
- Add a piece of Havarti cheese on each slice of bread.
- Top one piece of bread and Havarti cheese with half the fried apples.
- On top of the fried apples add half the onions.
- Add two slices of Havarti cheese on top of the apples and onions.
- On top of the two slices of Havarti cheese add smoked ham.
- Next, layer on two slices of cooked bacon.
- The best way to cook this grilled cheese is to add a tablespoon of water beside it on the griddle or skillet and place a dome or lid over the sandwich.
- Steam until the cheese is gooey. Both sides of the bread should already be toasted.
This grilled cheese is thick. Toast both slices of bread in a griddle or skillet before placing the top of the sandwich. Add a tablespoon of water beside the sandwich and place a lid or dome over the sandwich. This will help it steam and melt the cheeses.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich