This post includes two grilled cheese sandwiches never seen on my blog before. I entered them both in the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Sandwich contest in 2018. My Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich video received $1000 for being a fan favorite sandwich. Both my Southern Grilled Cheese sandwich and my Sweet and Salty Grilled Cheese sandwich have videos below with the full step by step recipe.
POTATOES AND ONIONS
- Two tablespoons vegetable oil.
- One baking potato, sliced thin on mandoline
- One small onion, sliced thin on mandoline
One Chicken Breast, baked with salt, pepper, and garlic
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Slice Bread, four pieces
- Four teaspoons Jalapenos, minced
- Four tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- one slice Havarti cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- Peel the baking potato and onion.
- Using a mandolin, slice both the onion and potato.
- Add the oil to a skillet on medium heat and place the onions and potatoes in the skillet.
- Cook until tender and potatoes form a brown crust on them.
- Add a tablespoon of mayonnaise to each slice of bread and place the mayo side down in a griddle or skillet.
- Add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce to the top side of each piece of bread.
- Place two teaspoons of minced Jalapenos on the BBQ sauce.
- Add two pieces of sharp cheddar cheese on top of the BBQ sauce on both pieces of bread.
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally.
- Add one piece of the chicken breast on top of one piece of bread.
- Place two pieces of bacon on the chicken breast.
- Top the bacon with a slice of Havarti cheese.
- On the other side of the bread on top of the Jalapenos, layer on the fried potatoes and onions.
- Carefully close the sandwich.
- Add a tablespoon of water beside the grilled cheese and place a dome over the sandwich.
- Grilled until the cheese is gooey. Both sides of the bread should already be toasted
This grilled cheese is thick. Toast both slices of bread in a griddle or skillet before placing the top of the sandwich. Add a tablespoon of water beside the sandwich and place a lid or dome over the sandwich. This will help it steam and melt the cheeses.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich