The National Banana Pudding Festival is held once a year in Centerville, Tennessee. This post teaches you how to make my Award-Winning Banana Pudding Salted Caramel recipe from National Banana Pudding Contest.
Top 10 at National Banana Pudding Festival
I was thrilled to be a top 10 banana pudding recipe at the National Banana Pudding Festival. My award-winning banana pudding is a Salted Caramel Biscoff Banana pudding. So thankful for the opportunity to compete and experience this cookoff with lots of amazing cooks. Thank you, National Banana Pudding Festival for the opportunity and the gifts. Every time I use my National Banana Pudding Stoneware Bowl and my Embroidered Apron, it will remind me of the fabulous time I had at the cookoff.
You can make this Award-Winning Banana Pudding Salted Caramel recipe with step by step detailed instructions.
If you think you have award-winning banana pudding, you can enter your recipe on the National Banana Pudding Festival website. Maybe your recipe will be chosen as a top ten to compete live at the Festival. The Festival is each year in October. The contestants have one hour to fill two, two-quart bowls, full of banana pudding.
SALTED CARAMEL BISCOFF BANANA PUDDING
My family and I have always been a massive fan of traditional Southern Banana Pudding. We simply love the homemade custard part of the banana pudding that I have been fixing for decades.
My husband and I both grew up eating a homemade custard banana pudding. I tweaked an old family favorite custard recipe by adding pure vanilla bean paste and a little more sugar.
Since I love Fall and Fall flavors, I add a touch of Fall to my Banana Pudding without touching the delicious custard by adding a homemade salted caramel whipped topping. The topping is made by whipping up salted caramel ice cream topping and heavy cream. I also add Biscoff cookies. Biscoff cookies are full of cinnamon and brown Sugar and go great with the salted caramel whipped topping.
Steps To Making Homemade Custard
Heat The Milk
In a large pot on low heat, add two cans evaporated milk and one cup whole milk. Constantly stir this milk mixture. It will burn. Heat this mixture just until boiling point.
Next, comes the Sugar
Sprinkle one cup sugar to the warm milk mixture and stir until it is completely dissolved. This should only take a minute. Remove from the milk and sugar mixture from the heat!
Separate Your Eggs
Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. You can save the egg white for an omelet or do whatever you want with them. While I am preparing this pudding, I also treat my dogs by cooking the egg whites in the microwave for their treat. They cannot eat the award-winning banana pudding, but they do not care. They get a huge treat too.
Whisk The Egg Yolks and Cornstarch
Now that you have your egg yolks separated grab a small whisk and whisk them well. Add the cornstarch and continue whisking until very smooth and creamy. Add your salt to the egg yolks.
Temper Your Egg Mixture
This can be scary, but it is not hard. Trust me; you can do it. The reason you temper your egg mixture is that if you put your eggs into the hot milk mixture, it will scramble the eggs.
Slowly drizzle 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking. The trick is to continually whisk the eggs while adding the hot milk. To be safe, I add a second cup of hot milk to the egg mixture. Once all the eggs are warm, you can safely pour the eggs back into the hot broth while stirring constantly.
If you have some bits of scrambled egg in your egg mixture, strain it. This will help you achieve a creamy banana pudding without lumps.
Add The Eggs Back Into The Hot Milk
Combine everything well and whisk back into the rest of the milk. Keep whisking until the mixture thickens just until it coats the back of the spoon. If you take it off the stove to early, the custard will be too thin. If you leave it on the stove to much, the custard will be too thick. It should pour off your spoon but not be runny nor be a glob.
Remove From The Custard From The Stove
Take the custard off the burner, and add one tablespoon pure Vanilla or pure Vanilla paste.
- Cover the custard with plastic directly on top of it.
- Place the custard in the refrigerator to cool before layering.
- Slice And Mix The Bananas In With The Juice Of One Lemon
Make The Whipped Topping Layer
Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, whip up 2 cups of heavy cream. As it begins to thicken up, add in 1 jar of Salted Caramel ice cream topping that has been refrigerated. The salted caramel will be very thick and help thicken up the whipped cream. Continue beating the cream and caramel until thick.
Slice the bananas and place them in a bowl with the juice of one lemon.
Layer This Award-Winning Banana Pudding
- Pour half of the custard in a 2.2 to 3-quart bowl.
- Top it with Biscoff Cookies, airplane cookies, (TIP: If you are not eating this pudding right away, use Nilla Wafers. No Fat Nilla Wafers stays fresh longer. Biscoff Cookies will get soggy faster). Biscoff cookies are loaded with brown sugar and cinnamon and perfect for Fall.
- Add a layer of half of the sliced bananas.
- Next, layer on half of the Salted Caramel Whipped Topping.
- Repeat layers one more time
- Crush Half a package of Biscoff Cookies in a ziplock bag and layer it on top of the pudding.
- Whip up one cup of heavy cream with 1/4 cup of sugar until thick. Place it into a piping bag with a large decorating tip on it and pipe the whipped cream around the edges of this award-winning banana pudding.
- Decorate with Mini-Rolos
You could also put it in the Ziplock bag and pipe it on the pudding too.
Refrigerate You Pudding
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running, but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
- Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 6-quart, Spice Red
- Cuisinart 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case
- Madagascar Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, 4-ounces
- Rolo Minis Caramel in Milk Chocolate, 8-Ounce Pouch
AWARD WINNING BANANA PUDDING RECIPE
- 24 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla pure (plus 2 teaspoons for additional whipped cream to decorate pudding)
- 3 cups heavy cream divided (2 cups for whipped topping for pudding layer and one cup to decorate banana pudding)
- 1 - 12- ounce jar of Salted Caramel Ice Cream Topping refrigerated
- 4 large bananas
- 8 ounces Rolo's Minis
- In a large pot on medium heat:
- Add 2 cans of evaporated milk
- cup whole milk
- Warm milks while constantly stirring it just before it starts boiling.
- Add, sugar to the milk and stir constantly until dissolved.
- Separate 4 large eggs.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the cornstarch, and salt. Combine until very smooth.
- Slowly add 1 cup of hot milk to the egg yolk mixture while whisking fast.
- Add the egg yolk mixture back into the milk mixture on the stove.
- Stir constantly, the custard will burn easily.
- Turn the stove to medium and whisk constantly until the custard coats the back of the spoon
- Remove from the stove and add one tablespoon of pure vanilla.
- Cover with plastic wrap touching the custard and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- SEE BLOG POST ON HOW TO Layer the Award Winning Banana Pudding
The stoneware pudding pot I received from National Banana Pudding Festival.
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.