If you are not a Grits fan, please try these Meaty Cheesy Baked Grits. They are so creamy, cheesy, and wonderful!
Like most Southerners, I grew up eating grits not only for breakfast but as a side dish. Every southern cookbook I own has a recipe for grits casserole. That is how truly popular grits are in the South. I love to add bacon and sausage to this recipe for breakfast. When I eat this casserole for breakfast, I prepare this dish the night before and just pop it into the oven the next morning.
I was raised in lower Alabama. We had an abundance of fresh seafood, especially shrimp and fish. These cheesy grits without the bacon and sausage are excellent with shrimp or fish. Cheesy Baked Grits are the perfect side dish.
My original recipe came from I add a little garlic, a pound of sausage, browned and drained and a pound of bacon cooked and crumbled to this recipe. My family loves the meat in these Cheesy Baked Grits. The picture above shows the meat in the baked grits. I also like my grits a little runny. The picture below is without the bacon and sausage in the grits. I also cooked it a bit longer, about 35 minutes. However you like your grits, try these Cheesy Baked Grits. They truly are delicious!
Meaty Cheesy Baked Grits
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup quick cooking grits
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups cheddar cheese (1 cup for recipe and 1 cup to top the grits)
1/2 cup milk
Optional – Brown 1 pound of sausage and 1 pound of bacon (see easy to prepare oven fried bacon). Drain and crumble up.
In a large pot, bring to a boil 4 cups water.
Add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and 1 cup quick cooking grits.
Cook over medium heat until thick. Stir very often.
Mix 1/2 cup milk and four eggs.
Add the egg and milk mixture to the grits.
Remove from heat and add butter and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
OPTIONAL: add the drained and crumbled sausage and bacon.
Pour into a 9×13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and top the grits with an additional 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Breakfast Recipes You Should Try
- OVEN FRIED BACON EASIEST WAY COOK BACON
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
- CHOCOLATE GRAVY & BISCUITS FOR BREAKFAST
- CREAMY CHEESY GRITS
- SPRITE BISCUITS SUPER LIGHT FLUFFY
- WHY LEARN TO MAKE SOUTHERN BISCUITS?
- SOUTHERN TOMATO PIE BACON BASIL
- SOUTHERN PEACHES FRITTERS
- AMAZING APPLE FRITTERS
- PERFECT PUMPKIN SPICE PANCAKES
- HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
- BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- CINNAMON APPLE CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- CINNAMON PULL APART ROLLS
- MEATY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- 3 INGREDIENTS FRENCH VANILLA COFFEE CREAMER
- SKILLET BANANA BREAD CARAMEL
- FRESH APPLE MUFFINS
- STUFFED CRESCENT ROLLS
- EASY ORANGE CRESCENT ROLLS
- ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES
- LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- ORANGE POPPY SEED SCONES
- HAM SAUSAGE CHEESE EGG CASSEROLE CRESCENT ROLLS
- HASH BROWNS AND HAM SLOW COOKER CHEESY CASSEROLE
- BUTTERMILK PANCAKES – WAYSIDE RESTAURANT
- RICE & EGGS – MY DADDY’S DISH
- HASH BROWN EGG SKILLET BREAKFAST
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.