Do you need a good rub for your barbecue grilled chicken?
I am sharing a huge family secret today with this Best BBQ Grilled Chicken.
My Husband’s Famous Recipe
My husband, Jerry, is famous for this Best BBQ Grilled Chicken. Seriously, it is amazing! The flavor of this chicken makes your month do a Happy, Happy, Dance. I might not eat anything else, but I have been known to eat 3 or 4 legs for supper. I think a lot of the reason has to do with his dry rub. He has an amazing dry rub from a perfect combination of seasoning. I finally talked him into sharing it. I first had to talk him into measuring his ingredients. Measuring his ingredients was more difficult than it sounds. He has made this Best BBQ Grilled Chicken with this dry rub for decades and never measured anything. He just added each seasoning to the chicken until it looked like the perfect amount, and it always was.
Write Down The Recipe
I had to measure a seasoning and give it to him. If it was not enough, he let me know. We did this over and over until he had his perfect combination of seasonings. Hooray, it is now written down. I am just hoping you will give this Best BBQ Grilled Chicken a try and leave him a message thanking him for his secret recipe. He has several other secret recipes. I would love for him to take time to write them down and share them on my blog. I am so thrilled this Best BBQ Grilled Chicken is now documented for my children and grandchildren to enjoy in the future.
Use A Baking Sheet
Besides his special rub, he always adds the seasoning to the chicken on a large baking sheet in a single layer. He then covers the baking sheet with plastic wrap and places it in the refrigerator. He claims the rub sticks to the chicken better and has extra time to flavor the meat.
I always use a family pack of skinless chicken breasts (about seven in the pack) for my family members who love white meat and a family size pack of chicken legs for the rest of us. These packs of chicken equal between 8 -1/2 to 9 pounds of chicken. If you need a recipe for a large family or a crowd, this is a great one.
For your convenience, below are the products used in this post.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
- BBQ SAUCES
- BBQ TOOLS
- Elite Bakeware Extra Large Baking Pans with Nonstick Coating and Grip Handle, Pack of 2
Oven Safe, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Baking Rack & Cooling Rack, 12 x 17 inches Fits Half Sheet Pan
- BEST SELLING FOOD ITEMS ON AMAZON
Get Grilling! Enjoy Your Summer With These Delicious Recipes. 7 of our family favorite grilling recipes plus 17 of the best BBQ Side Dishes
Drum Roll Please! Here is the secret BBQ Chicken Rub Ingredients.
Best BBQ Grilled Chicken
- 8-1/2 to 9 pounds of chicken any chicken pieces will work, but I used a large family pack of breast and a large pack of legs.
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- And two - 1/2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- Plus two tablespoons Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Montreal Chicken seasoning not steak
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- A bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Wash and pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
- In a bowl, mix the seasonings together and sprinkle it over the chicken.
- Pat the seasonings in with your fingers.
- Refrigerate at least a couple of hours to overnight.
- GRILL THE CHICKEN:
- Cook the chicken breast for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Turn the breast over after 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cook the legs 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Turn the legs over after 25 minutes.
- Add your favorite barbecue sauce to the chicken just before removing from the grill.
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.