Chess pies are sweet and creamy. If you have not tried a This Southern Treat, they are super easy to make and delicious.
Chess pie is a cousin to the Buttermilk Pie and the egg custard pie. It is smooth, creamy and a sweet treat. You can easily change this pie up by adding 2 TB of fresh lemon juice. It becomes a delicious Lemon Chess Pie. Try adding Cocoa Powder with the dry ingredients to create a Chocolate Chess Pie (do not add the lemon juice with the chocolate). See My Chocolate Chess Post.
If you feel like God has moved so far away from you, it is not God who has moved. Take time to spend talking to God even during this busy time of the year. He is close by and wants to hear from you. He can also handle all that you bring to him. So, get a piece of this delicious chess pie, a cup of coffee and a quiet place and give God what is in your heart.
Chess Pie-Southern Favorite
- 1 – 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 TB all-purpose flour
- 2 TB yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 TB vanilla
- 1 unbaked pie crust – Prepare the bottom of the pie crust by rubbing 1 TB softened butter on the bottom. Next sprinkle 1 TB of sugar on top of the butter.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients which include the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and four beaten eggs. Pour the mixture into the pie crust
- Sprinkle with nutmeg or all-spice.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is set.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- ONE SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE
- SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK PIE
- PRALINE APPLE PIE
- BAKED STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
- FROSTED SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- MOIST MEATLOAF EVERY TIME
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.