This Creamy Banana Pudding from scratch is off the chart delicious. You can make an ordinary dessert, like banana pudding, extraordinary by layering it in a beautiful glass.
I layered the pudding in six different glasses to show you that you could use any glassware and make the presentation for the banana pudding say, “I do Love You.” This is why putting the pudding in a unique glass is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Top the dessert off with a White chocolate heart and some New Orleans Pralines. Keep reading for additional pictures and the recipe.
Light and Creamy Layered Banana Pudding from Scratch with Pralines and Chocolate Hearts.
Use your decorative glassware to serve your Layered Banana Pudding.
Steps To Making Homemade Custard For This Award-Winning Banana Pudding
Heat The Milk
In a large pot on low heat, add two cans evaporated milk and one cup whole milk. Constantly stir this milk mixture. It will burn. Heat this mixture just until boiling point.
Next, Comes The Sugar
Sprinkle one cup sugar to the warm milk mixture and stir until it is completely dissolved. Dissolving the sugar should only take a minute. Remove from the milk and sugar mixture from the heat!
Separate Your Eggs
Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. You can save the egg white for an omelet or do whatever you want with them. While I am preparing this pudding, I also treat my dogs by cooking these white in the microwave for their treat. They cannot eat the award-winning banana pudding, but they do not care. They get a treat too.
Whisk The Egg Yolks And Cornstarch
Now that you have your egg yolks separated grab a small whisk and whisk them well. Add the cornstarch and continue whisking until very smooth and creamy. Add your salt to the egg yolks.
Temper Your Egg Mixture
Tempering eggs can be scary, but it is not hard. Trust me you can do it. The reason you temper your egg mixture is that if you put your eggs into the hot milk mixture, it will scramble the eggs.
Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking. The trick is to whisk the eggs while adding the hot milk. To be safe, I add a second cup of hot milk to the egg mixture.
Add The Eggs Back Into The Hot Milk
Combine everything well and whisk back into the rest of the milk. Keep whisking until the mixture thickens just until it coats the back of the spoon. If you take it off the stove to early, the custard will be too thin. If you leave it on the stove to much, the custard will be too thick. It should pour off your spoon but not be runny nor be a glob.
Remove From The Custard From The Stove
Take the custard off the burner, and add one tablespoon pure Vanilla or pure Vanilla paste.
- Cover the custard with plastic directly on top of it.
- Place the custard in the refrigerator to cool before layering.
- Slice And Mix The Bananas In With The Juice Of One Lemon
Make The Whipped Topping Layer
Using an electric mixer, on medium speed whip up 2 cups of heavy cream with 1/2 cup sugar.
Slice the bananas and place them in a bowl with the juice of one lemon.
Layer This Award-Winning Banana Pudding
- Pour half of the custard 3-quart bowl.
- Top it with cookies.
- Add a layer of half of the sliced bananas
- Next, add a layer of whipped topping.
- Repeat layers one more time
- Crush Half a package cookies to decorate the top of the pudding.
White Chocolate Hearts
Melt the chocolate in a microwave 15 seconds at a time and then stir well. Place the chocolate in a piping bag (use a zip-lock if you do not have a piping bag). Cut a tiny amount off the end of the bag. Pipe an outline of a heart on a sheet of parchment paper, then fill it in with more chocolate. Place on the counter to harden a few minutes. Be careful when picking this chocolate up.
Creamy Banana Pudding
- Double this recipe if you are filling a large bowl like the one at the top of the page.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- Two cans 12 ounces each evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- Four large egg yolks
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract for the pudding and two tsp for whipped with the heavy cream
- One box vanilla wafers
- 2 cups heavy cream whipped with 1/4 cup sugar, add two tsp vanilla (You could also use Cool Whip)
- 3 to 4 large bananas sliced (coat bananas with a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice)
- Add sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, and eggs to a pot over medium heat.
- Whisk constantly until it starts to boil and thickens into pudding.
- Pudding will burn if it sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- You can also make this in a double boiler to help prevent burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Cover with a sheet of plastic wraps directly on top of the pudding to keep a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Next, layer the pudding and the rest of the ingredients in your favorite glassware. If you have room in your glass, repeat the layers until they fill the glass.
Banana Pudding from Scratch Recipe–(Vanilla Pudding recipe adapted from usaweekend.com) Double this recipe if you are filling a large bowl like the one at the top of the page.
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.