This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.

This Super Moist Cornbread Dressing is my favorite dressing.  Thanksgiving is not complete without it.

Cornbread Dressing includes cornbread, biscuits or store-bought stuffing, celery, onion, soups, broth, eggs, and poultry seasoning.  The flavor is fantastic.

In South Alabama, you can guarantee that cornbread dressing is on every holiday table. The welcoming aroma says “Home For The Holidays”. Yes, it is dressing in the South and not stuffing. One of the more popular ways to make dressing is with cornbread. This recipe combines both cornbread and biscuits. You will find cornbread or biscuits on most Southern dinner tables if not both.

My family is like Cornbread! What do I mean?

In the South, everyone has a favorite cornbread. We often compare our favorite cornbread to every cornbread we eat. I thought it would be fun instead of comparing different cornbreads to compare my family to different cornbreads.

My Husband Is Like The Jalapeno Cornbread.

He is always well seasoned and kicked up.  You never know what kind of spice (happy dance) he is going to break out into.  He is the goofy, happy, crazy, kicked-up with silliness personality most of the time.  Just like the Jalapeno Cornbread that kicks up your mouth, you will never be bored when Jerry is in the house.  He reminds me of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.  He is always bouncing around in a happy mood.

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread which represents someone who is a traditionalist like me.  The cornbread never changes, but it always tastes good.  I am dependable and get the job done which is just like a piece of Southern Buttermilk Cornbread.  You can always count on cornbread to complete almost any meal that you fix.

Our Kids Remind Me Of The Broccoli Cheese Cornbread.

When you add broccoli, cheese, onion, and bacon to cornbread, it blends to make a perfect Bacon, Broccoli & Cheese Cornbread.  Our children are just the right mix of both parents.

Can You Believe I Got All Of This From Cornbread?  Me Either!

God made everyone different.  If everyone was just like me, we may be too serious and never have much fun.  If everyone was like my husband, we would always have a lot of fun and not get much done.  God puts us together so that we could help each other out.  Thank God, our friends and family are not like us.

— CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE —

Click the button above to save this delicious recipe to your Pinterest board!

Cornbread Dressing includes cornbread, biscuits or store-bought stuffing, celery, onion, soups, broth, eggs, and poultry seasoning.  The flavor is fantastic.

Thanksgiving Table

Cornbread Dressing has always been on our Thanksgiving table ever since I can remember.  It is a tradition that I grew up with and now continue with my family.  I make my dressing by crumbling up biscuits and cornbread.  If you know you will be making this dressing; you can start saving your leftover biscuits by freezing them.  You can also make the cornbread ahead of time and freeze it.

What is in this moist Cornbread dressing?

It includes chicken or turkey stock with a can of soup.  Most importantly, the stock and soup help keep the dressing from drying out.  To season this moist dressing with lots of flavors, I add fresh celery, onion, and poultry seasoning. Because this cornbread dressing is so moist and flavorful,  I love to eat it without any gravy.  Although, when serving it, you will want to serve this dressing with turkey gravy.

Can You Prepare Cornbread Dressing A Head Of Time?

Absolutely, and I would recommend preparing it several days in advance and refrigerating it. Preparing this dressing takes time, especially if you are making your cornbread and biscuits from scratch. Typically, I make my cornbread several days before mixing up my dressing. You could make your cornbread weeks in advance too. It freezes well. Let the cornbread cool and wrap it in plastic wrap. Next, wrap it in a layer of foil.

I use frozen biscuits instead of making my own for this recipe. They work well, and it saves me a huge step.

Can You Freeze Cornbread Dressing?

Yes! If you want to make this dressing a week or two in advance, you can freeze it before baking. Wrap the baking dish in plastic wrap and then foil. Place the dressing in the refrigerator a couple of days before baking it. It needs to thaw before cooking.

Can You Prepare The Vegetables A Head Of Time?

Yes, It would be so helpful when making this cornbread dressing to already have your celery and onions chopped. Store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator a day or two before mixing this dressing. To save time, you could also purchase pre-chopped onions and celery in the produce section of your grocery store.

Do You Have To Use Biscuits?

No, Use your favorite store-bought cornbread stuffing. As a result, it will add even more flavor and is a great time saver. You will need three cups of either biscuits or stuffing.

Cornbread Dressing Recipe: Recipe adapted from Simply Southern Cookbook from Columbia Academy School.

This post may include affiliate links. Please see my disclosure.

Super Moist #Cornbread #Dressing is my favorite dressing. It is super moist and easy to make. It includes cornbread, bread crumbs, celery, onion, soups, broth, eggs and poultry seasoning. The flavor is fantastic. #Thanksgiving #holidays #side #turkey
Print Recipe Add to Collection
3.89 from 51 votes

Moist Cornbread Dressing

It includes cornbread, bread crumbs, celery, onion, soups, broth, eggs, and poultry seasoning.  The flavor is fantastic.

Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Course: Side Dish, sides
Cuisine: American
Keyword: corn bread dressing, dressing, Easter recipes, recipe, Southern dressing, Thanksgiving side dish, Thanksgiving Sides
Servings: 15
Calories: 223kcal

Ingredients

Instructions

• Melt 4 TB butter and saute onions and celery until tender.
  • Mix all ingredients.
  • Spread into greased 13×9 pan.
  • Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.
  • The original recipe said to bake this dressing 40 minutes, BUT it takes me closer to AN HOUR for it to set in the center.
  • Allow plenty of time to cook it.

Notes

Tip to cooking this dressing faster:
Add an ice cream scoop full of dressing in each cupcake tin.  By cooking the dressing in individual servings it will cook much faster.

Nutrition

Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 720mg | Potassium: 214mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 4.8mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2.2mg

More Delicious Sides

• CHEESY HASH BROWN CASSEROLE includes Hash browns, butter, onion, Cream of Chicken Soup, sour cream, Cajun Seasoning, garlic, black pepper, and lots of sharp shredded cheddar cheese.
  • BROCCOLI YELLOW RICE CASSEROLE If your family does not like broccoli, they will probably eat this broccoli recipe.  You cannot taste the broccoli. The saffron in the yellow rice makes this casserole very flavorful.

Salads

• LAYERED LETTUCE SALAD Use spring mix, peas, red onion, dried cranberries, boiled eggs, mayonnaise, sugar, bacon, cheddar cheese, and almonds or your favorite nuts.  Top this salad with cranberries for the holidays.
  • BEST BACON BROCCOLI SALAD includes two bunches of fresh broccoli, raisins or dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, carrots, purple onion, mayo, sugar or honey, and bacon.
  • STRAWBERRY PRETZEL SALAD This Strawberry Pretzel salad, dessert, is fantastic!  It is layered with pretzels, cream cheese mixture, plus strawberries and strawberry jello.  It is the perfect sweet and salty combination.

Sweet Potatoes

• SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE The three different toppings on this sweet potato casserole allow everyone to get their favorite.
  • BAKED STUFFED SWEET POTATOES With Brown Sugar, Pecans, Marshmellow, Cinnamon, And Butter. These Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect excuse to eat dessert as a side dish.  In the South, we actually call this recipe a side dish.  It is a far stretch for even me but it is a fabulous,  indulgent treat perfect for your holiday table.

Beans and Peas

• BEST SOUTHERN WHITE BEANS  There is nothing better than an old fashion pot of Southern white beans and a piece of buttery cornbread.  I will teach you how easy it is to make these Southern White Beans with ham in your Slow Cooker or Dutch oven.
  • SOUTHERN BLACK-EYED PEAS If you season them well, black-eye peas are delicious.  To season my Southern black-eyed peas, I include onions, garlic, Cajun seasoning to add lots of flavor to my peas, Seasoned Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Salty Meat
  • SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS What could be better than Beans made with potatoes, bacon, garlic, onion, chicken broth, pepper, and a hint of sugar?  These Green Beans are the perfect side dish. They go with almost everything.
  • CHEESY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE is a holiday tradition.  I updated the traditional green beans with cheese, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce to make the best casserole!

Let’s Connect!

Click here to follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread on Facebook. It’s is a great place to ask questions and see what is new on my blog.

Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #recipesforourdailybread so I can see all the amazing you make from my blog.

Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches

Ecookbook sign up

Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.

Powered by ConvertKit

58 thoughts on “SUPER MOIST CORNBREAD DRESSING”

1. 5 stars
    I have never made dressing before I came across several different recipes and this one caught my eye. I added cut up egg and turkey it was amazing!! My family loved it!! Thank you for sharing this simple yet delicious recipe with us. This will be my go to recipe for dressing from now on.

• Sandy,

Thank you for trying my cornbread dressing. You made my day by taking the time to let me know you enjoyed it. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment.
      Have a fabulous Christmas season!
      Many Blessings,

2. 3 stars
    Dressing looked really good on the outside, and I went strictly by the recipe, but it was just too salty. I had to throw it out. I want to make it again but not sure what ingredient I need to reduce or cut out. Not sure if it was the poultry seasoning, the soups, or broth.

• Bonita,

I am sorry your dressing was too salty. No salt is added to the dressing. I would suggest getting low sodium can soups and low sodium chicken broth. These items are the only ingredients that contain sodium.
      Have a great Christmas season!

3. 5 stars
    I have to tell you that this recipe has changed my life. I’m
    Currently at the grocery store getting what I need to make it again. I love it so much and could eat it every single day!!!!! I do not use biscuits, I use a bag of that Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix instead. Let me please give YOU the best compliment I have received in regards to your recipe.

My husband said, “Dear, this is better than my grandmas”

My dad said, “Kasey this is better than my moms”

And I hear the same thing every single time someone else tries it.

So THANK YOU!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU

• Kasey,

You made my day! Thank you so much for trying my cornbread stuffing. Please tell your husband and dad that they made my day. I am thrilled they enjoyed the dressing. It is a holiday staple at my house. It is always super moist and flavorful. I too have used cornbread stuffing but replaced it for the cornbread. It was very tasty that way too.
      This cornbread dressing is one of the very first posts on my blog and I have been blogging for 7 years. Most every holiday it is the top recipe.
      Thank you again for visiting and supporting my blog, Recipes For Our Daily Bread. I would love for you to join my newsletter if you do not already receive it. https://recipesforourdailybread.com/press-release/
      MANY BLESSINGS,

• Rose,

Thank you for stopping by Recipes For Our Daily Bread to see my Super Moist Cornbread Dressing recipe. It really does not matter what kind of biscuits you use as long as you do not use can biscuits. I normally purchase Ms. B’s or Pillsbury Grands (Southern Style) frozen biscuits.

I hope you have a terrific Thanksgiving. Many many blessings to you and your family.
      Thank you for supporting my blog. I am truly grateful.
      Last week, God overwhelmed me with his blessings. I would love for you to read all about How I got to the World Food Championships and How I did? Hopefully, it will be encouraging. http://recipesforourdailybread.com/world-food-championships/

Blessings,

4. 5 stars
    My family loves this cornbread dressing. I’m a good cook. This recipe is great for the holidays. The cornbread during year is awesome. I make it in muffin form. Before I in the oven I drop a piece of butter in the middle of each muffin. Thanks for sharing recipes.

• Sharon,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment about my cornbread dressing. I am so thankful for you letting me know about putting it in muffin tins. It always takes so long to cook and muffin tin would solve that problems when you are waiting for it to cook so you can bake something else. Oven space is always a problems during holidays.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
      Blessings,
      Diane Roark

5. I made this recipe last year and I can’t tell you how relieved I was to finally make a dressing that everyone loved. I’ve been trying new recipes for years and always disappointed in the outcome. This turned out perfect. My daughter said “mom, make sure you keep this recipe because I’ll be making this one day”. Thank you so much for sharing a fantastic and simple to make recipee.

• Sophia,

Thank you for stopping by Recipes for our Daily Bread and letting me know you made my Super Moist Cornbread dressing. YOU MADE MY DAY! It has been a family favorite for decades. It is always super moist and flavorful.

I am so thankful you not only tried this dressing recipe but you let me know.

Many many blessing! Have a great Thanksgiving!!
      Diane

6. I’ve been searching for the best southern style cornbread dressing and this one has my attention. I really want to make this for Thanksgiving. Do you have any tips so I won’t fail terribly ? Lol! Also is this dressing moist yet stiff cause my family is use to moist dressing but not runny soup like.

7. could we make this dressing and put in freezer , uncooked, and still cook and use for Christmas and new year?? how long would it last in freezer uncooked and still be good . wonderful dressing

8. Thank you for posting this recipe. Can you tell me how many side dish servings this recipe will make? I am going to attempt to make this for Thanksgiving this year and this information will be helpful to know if I will need to double the recipe for approx 40 guests.

Thank you!

9. I just ran across your dressing recipe and am excited about making it for Thanksgiving. I can’t seem to find your Southern Buttermilk Cornbread recipe.

10. This recipe is “OUT OF THIS WORLD”!!! I am a new comer to making dressing, but this recipe made it fun and easy> AND V ERY TASTY!!!

11. Diane, I cannot tell you how long I have been searching for this recipe! It sounds just like the dressing my Mama used to make before she became ill with dementia~ All her recipes were in her head and I get so excited when I find one that is close to hers~
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Tami

• Tami,

I am so glad you found my moist cornbread dressing. I love this dressings and it turns out so delicious every time. I am so sorry to hear about your mama. I feel like some days I am already getting dementia. I am glad I am blogging so my kids will have all my recipes.
      Thanks for all your support! I truly appreciate it.
      Blessings,
      Diane Roark

12. I enjoy your recipes and the info on your family. I am a Christian and an R.N. and have worked with many challenged people. Thank you for sharing.
    Sandy

• Sandy,

I am proud to know that you are a nurse and a Christian. God is using you to make a huge difference in the world. You can help people heal physically and spiritually. I have made friends with so many nurses over the years because of my sons 17 shunt failures. He has cerebral palsy and seizures. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a message.
      I hope you will consider following my blog with e-mail updates or on social medias.
      Blessings Always,
      Diane Roark

13. Thank you for this recipe. ..I will never use another this dressing is the best!!!! We are from Memphis so my husband knows how great dressing should taste.He is raving about this one and asked me not to lose this recipe! Thank you

• Memphis Girl,

I was so excited to see your message. You made my day!! We truly enjoy this dressing also. It is really easy to prepare and delicious!!

You are right down the road from me. I live just north of Little Rock. I am thrilled you found my blog. I hope you will consider follow Recipes for our Daily Bread.
      Blessings and have a great weekend!
      Diane Roark

14. Hi Diane! I did end up making this yesterday (prepared the evening before) and although it was delicious I felt it was a little on the runny side. I even ended up baking it for 2hrs total. Not sure where I went wrong. I’m going to make it again in the next day or two and ideas on what I may have done wrong? Thanks!

• Jennifer,

When my oven is full, I have had to cook it a lot longer too. It seems like I only cook this dressing when my oven is full. I just double checked the time on the orginal recipe. The recipe called for 30 to 40 minutes but it takes me closer to an hour. I thought it was because my oven was full. Try cooking it with the foil off especially if it is cooked on the bottom shelf. If the top of the dressing starts to get a little brown, you can always add the foil on top.

Blessings and I hope this helps.
      I will be putting it together to bake tomorrow.

15. Hello,
    I am excited to make this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. I just have one question regarding the poultry seasoning…do I put in 2 and 1/2 tsp or do you mean just two 1/2 tsp? Thank you.

• Linda,

I just went back and check the cookbook to make sure about the poultry seasonning. The recipe called for 2 teaspoons. I not sure if I increased it a little bit or I typed it wrong. Thank you so much for asking!!!!!!! I am making this a head of time tomorrow. I will use 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning.

Blessings,

• Jo Anne,

About adding 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed instead of the fresh celery. You can get the taste without the texture of the celery.

Just a thought. This dressings is so moist and really tasty. I have had several people commenting on it saying they made it this weekend for an early Thanksgiving gathering and really loved it. Please let me know what you think.
      Blessings,
      Diane Roark

• Thanks for your suggestion about using celery seed instead of celery. Since my family just does not like celery, I substituted the can of celery soup for another one of cream of chicken soup. I use some sage also and omitted the celery totally. Cooked it 45 minutes and then uncovered and cooked for 10 more minutes and it was baked perfectly. Had many compliments. Thank you!

• Jo Anne,

I am so thankful you left me a comment. I was thinking about you when I was baking my dressing today. Hoping and praying your dressing would be delish! Thank you for letting me know.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! I am fat and full!!!

• Jennifer,

YES, you can mix it up ahead of time, refrigerate it overnight and bake it just before eating it. This dressing is so moist and delicious. I have had several people leave me a comment saying they have already had Thanksgiving meal this past weekend and made this dressing. They were very happy with the way it came out. Hopefully, you will enjoy it too. Please leave me a comment and let me know how it turn out.

I added 14 of my favorite Thanksgiving desserts and sides.

Blessings and have a great week!
      Diane Roark

16. We had this for our Thanksgiving last night, and I absolutely loved it!!! I’ve shared it with several coworkers already this morning.

• Danielle,

YOU MADE MY DAY!! I am so thankful for people like you who try out one of my recipes and leave me a comment. We truly love this dressing and I am so glad your family did too. Please share my blog and my recipes.
      I am adding a link to my review post for this past week. Yesterday, I added 14 of my favorite Thanksgiving desserts. https://recipesforourdailybread.com/2013/11/24/roundup-review-ending-112313/

I am a Southern Food & Travel blogger & a Christian. I blog about RECIPES, RESTAURANT REVIEWS, FAITH, FAMILY, TRAVEL EXPERIENCES & GIVEAWAYS. I would love for you to follow my blog by entering your e-mail on the top right hand corner of my homepage.

Blessings and have a great week!
      Diane Roark

17. when you say add 3 cups bread crumbs, do you mean 3 cups of the cornbread crumbs should be bread crumbs or is it 9 cups altogether (6 cornbread, 3 bread)??

• Cori,

We really enjoy this very moist and tasty cornbread dressing. It is 9 cups of bread total. 6 cups of cornbread and 3 cups of biscuit crumbs. The frozen biscuits work well. They crumble perfectly.
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think about this dressing.

Also, I am adding 14 of my favorite desserts recipes for the holidays this Saturday and I am working on a list of bread recipes for next week.
      I hope you will consider following my blog. I would love to have you.
      Blessings,
      Diane Roark

• Thank you for a quick response! I will be looking out for you post on Saturday! My husband is a southern boy, and he wants dressing for Thanksgiving. He saw yours and said that looks just like what his family makes 🙂 Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

• ok so I have one more question lol. I bought the bag of cornbread stuffing and I just mash that up and use it or does it it need to be actual cornbread?

• Cori,

I hope you are having a good day. When making cornbread dressing, normally you would use cornbread BUT if you want to use the cornbread stuffing it will work. It will still be wonderful. I had a lady (Danielle) leave me a message this morning. She made two trays of this cornbread dressing. Her family loved it. I am hoping and praying your husband will too. Please let me know how everything goes. I am sure you will do a great job. I am very thankful you found my blog and was willing to give this dressing a try.
            I added a list of 14 of my favorite desserts yesterday. I will add a link to my review post for this week so that you can check them out.

Blessings Always and have a great week and great Thanksgiving,

• Amy,

I use Mary B’s frozen biscuits from Walmart but I have used Pillsbury frozen biscuit and they work great too. Do not use canned biscuits. They do not crumble.

Make sure you use the correct amount of chicken stock (20 ounces total). They make several different size cans and boxes. If you make this dressing with other things in your oven, it will take longer to bake.

This dressing is super moist and truly YUMMY. I just made some again for Thanksgiving and it was so good.

You can see my ROUNDUP REVIEW POST for this past week: https://recipesforourdailybread.com/2013/12/08/roundup-review-week-end-120713/

Blessings and let me know if you make it,

18. How is it going?, I just want to provide a brief
    heads up and let you find out that a number of photos are not
    operating very well on your internet site. I am not sure exactly why nonetheless I presume you’ll find it’s a linking situation.
    I’ve tried it in two other browsers and both provide the same
    final result.

19. Had a question about the dressing recipe. •6 cups cornbread crumbs,can I make a cornbread from a pack or does it need to be the one that you posted for the recipe? Heather

• Heather,

I think any cornbread would be fine. Since it is a dressing I would not do a real sweet cornbread. This dressing really is moist and delicious. I have it on my list to make soon. I need to redo the pictures.
      I am excited about all my giveaways this fall. I am going to review and giveaway Gooseberry’s new Harvest and Christmas cookbooks. I will have a Cuisinart 5-speed hand mixer giveaway starting this Friday, plus another Cuisinart giveaway and lots of fall recipes are all coming soon.
      Blessings and visit again anytime! Thank you for stopping by Recipes for our Daily Bread and leaving me a comment. I truly enjoy being a quest blogger for Gooseberry. I look forward to reviewing and giving away a Gooseberry cookbook each month. I am a Southern Food & Travel blogger & a Christian. I blog about RECIPES, RESTAURANT REVIEWS, FAITH, FAMILY, TRAVEL EXPERIENCES & GIVEAWAYS. I hope you considered following my blog if you do not already. You can do so on the top right corner of my homepage.
      I have lots of giveaways planned the next few weeks.
      Blessings and come again soon!
      Diane Roark

• Hannah, Thank you for visiting Recipes For Our Daily Bread. I am really glad you enjoy the cornbread. I normally have to make two pans because I eat so much of it. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings, Diane Roark