Can you bake a homemade Apple Pie? Yes, you can!
You can make the Best Praline Apple Pie with this recipe. The praline sauce baked on top makes this pie.
Homemade Apple Pie is so much tastier than store-bought pie.
Luckily, an apple pie is easy to make. The most difficult part is slicing the apples. After slicing the apples, you mix together the apples, flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. If you do not have time to make a pie crust, simply purchase it and make the filling yourself. This apple pie filling has been kicked up with extra cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It is full of flavor but what makes this apple pie special is the praline topping. I added the praline sauce to the top pie crust the last ten minutes of baking. The praline sauce bakes into the top of the pie for a sweet, crunchy treat. It is like eating pralines on your apple pie.
My family and I lived on the Northshore of New Orleans for several years including during Hurricane Katrina. While living in New Orleans, I fell in love with their famous food including their pralines. I learned while living in the New Orleans area that dessert is better with pralines or praline sauce. I love adding pralines to top off my banana pudding. The creamy pudding with the sweet, crunchy topping is amazing. If you have not discovered praline sauce, you are missing out. I use it on everything including pound cake, ice cream, pumpkin bread, pecans, best ever no-bake cheesecake (posting soon), and this fantastic Praline Apple Pie. I simply added a praline sauce to my apple pie and baked it into the pie.
Another benefit to baking an apple pie is the sweet aroma coming from the kitchen that fills the house.
2 Corinthians 2:15 "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."
According to this verse, Christians are a sweet aroma to God.
Apple Pie Filling: Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker “Apple Praline Pie”.
- 8 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I use a combination of apples like Granny Smith and Gala apples.)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- PRALINE TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 TB heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Slice the apples very thin and as consistent in size as possible.
- Mix together the apples flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg.
- Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust.
- Place a second pie crust on top of the apples.
- Cut slits in top of pie crust for ventilation.
- Bake 375 degrees for 1 hour. Tent with foil, but remove foil after 40 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven after 1 hour and add the praline sauce on top of the pie.
- PRALINE SAUCE/TOPPING:
- Heat the first four ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until it begins to boil.
- Remove from the stove and add the vanilla.
- Pour on top of the pie.
- Bake pie for an additional 10 minutes.
Thank you for visiting! Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.