These beans are the best Southern Baked Beans, and a must-have for a backyard barbecue, potluck, family reunion, football tailgate, or picnic. Most importantly, they are hearty and thick, plus sweet, and savory.
This post includes instructions for preparing them in the oven and the slow cooker. Although these beans are called baked beans, they are often made on the stovetop, pressure cooker, and my favorite way a slow cooker. They are fabulous in a slow cooker.
Above all, you cannot beat these Southern Baked Beans made with ground beef, bacon, onion, green bell pepper, Dijon mustard, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
I love baked beans! Anyone else out there who has to have baked beans with their barbecue. Certainly, baked beans are a must! Barbecue, baked beans, and potato salad go hand and hand, and you cannot have one without the other.
Cowboy Baked Beans
As a result of baked beans including ground beef, they are often called Cowboy Baked Beans. I normally associate Cowboy beans with not only ground beef but different kinds of beans. This Southern Baked Bean recipe was based on Cowboy Baked Beans that includes butter beans, Kidney beans, and pork and beans. It is from Gooseberry Patch Game-Day Cookbook.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
My family was in town for my son’s wedding, and I had them over for a barbecue one of the days. Because my oven was full, I decided to prepare these baked beans in my slow cooker. What was I thinking? You dummy! Why have you not made your baked beans in your slow cooker before? As a result, they turned out perfect even after doubling this recipe.
Benefits of Slow Cooker Southern Baked Beans
I do not like my beans thick and dry. Therefore, a slow cooker is an ideal appliance to cooking baked beans. The liquid does not absorb as quickly as it does in the oven, so they stay creamy or not dry. If you find your slow cooker beans are too runny for your liking, simply use a slotted spoon. You can remove some of the fabulous sauce if you desire too. Certainly, a slow cooker has more room than a 9×13 baking dish, so there is no chance of the beans overflowing. Consequently, another benefit of using the crock-pot is transporting the dish. Once you get to your destination, you can plug the slow cooker in and keep them warm.
First Step: Ground Beef and Bacon Oven Version
Begin by chopping the raw bacon into small pieces. Consequently, you can cook the chopped raw bacon and ground beef at the same time in a large skillet. When the ground beef is brown, and the bacon is crispy, drain the grease from the skillet.
Adding Ground Beef and Bacon For Slow Cooker Baked Beans
After the ground beef is brown and the bacon is crispy, drain it and place the meat in a 6-quart slow cooker.
Second Step: Onion and Bell pepper
To me, it is the sweet ingredients combine with the bell pepper that makes these beans. Do not skip the bell pepper! They add so much flavor but do dice them extremely small. Most importantly, we want to add flavor not a bad taste in our mouth with a massive piece of bell pepper. Therefore, I cannot express to you to dice the onion and bell pepper very small. If they are diced small, they can go right into the sauce. They will cook down. If you do not dice them small, you may want to saute them with meat.
Third Step: Sweet Tangy Sauce
After you drain the meat, add the beans, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, syrup, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. If you are making an oven version, add the ingredients for the sauce to the cooked meat in the skillet and mix well. If you are making a slow cooker version, add this sauce to the slow cooker with the meat and stir well.
Third Step: Bake Oven Southern Baked Beans
Pour into a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with a cooking spray. 9×13 dish holds 3 quarts or 96 ounces. This baked bean recipe will fill the dish to the top. Importantly, place a baking sheet under the beans.
Lastly, bake uncovered at 350 F degrees for 45 minutes. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Slow Cooker Southern Baked Beans
- Spray the slow cooker with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, after cooking the ground beef and bacon in a skillet on the stove, toss in a slow cooker.
- Finally, add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours in a 6-quart slow cooker.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
- Just for Fun: Get your Favorite Collegiate Slow Cooker
Other Picnic Food You Should Try
- MACARONI SALAD FOR SUMMER
- BEST COLESLAW
- BEST BACON BROCCOLI SALA
- CAJUN POTATO SALAD SHRIMP
- CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD – TUSCAN SALAD
- FRESH AND EASY TOMATO CUCUMBER PASTA SALAD
- SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS
- CHEESY HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
- PRESSURE COOKER MAC AND CHEESE
- PRESSURE COOKER SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS
BEST SOUTHERN BAKED BEANS
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bacon raw bacon chopped small
- 1/2 bell pepper large green bell pepper diced tiny
- 1 small onion diced small
- 4 16 ounces pork and beans
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire
- 2 Tbs Maple Syrup pure
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Chop your raw bacon in small pieces.
- Add the ground beef and chopped raw bacon in the same skillet.
- Cook until brown and drain.Combine the ground beef, bacon, beans, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, syrup, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 baking dish that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
- 9X13 Baking dish holds 3 quarts or 96 ounces.
- BAKE uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- This baked bean recipe will fill a 9×13 baking dish to the top. Place a pan under the baking dish when baking. The beans will thicken up as they cool. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- SLOW COOKER
- Spray the slow cooker with a nonstick cooking spray.
- After cooking the ground beef and bacon in a skillet on the stove, toss in a slow cooker.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours in a 6-quart slow cooker.