Are you looking to make delicious Southern Green Beans?
What could be better than Southern Green Beans made with potatoes, bacon, garlic, onion, chicken broth, pepper, and a hit of sugar?
Being a Southern Girl, I was raised on these green beans. Today, I still love these Southern Green Beans, and I prepare them on special occasions. The only difference is I do not cook them until they are mushy like I grew up on. I like them tender but not cooked to death.
Growing Up With Fresh Green Beans
My father would get bushels of green beans, purple hull peas, every summer. I not sure where he would get our green beans from but he always got a ton. We would spend hours as a family stringing and snapping beans and peas. Most meals included a fresh pot of green beans or peas and cornbread during the summer.
Can I use something besides Bacon in these Green Beans?
Bacon is the most common seasoning for Southern Green Beans but if you have a ham bone left over it is perfect for these beans. Boil the bone down using the chicken broth, water or a combination of the two until the meat falls off or pulls off easy. If you are using a honey ham bone, you do not need to add the sugar to the beans. They will be perfectly sweet enough.
Green Beans Were Finger Foods In My House
When my kids were at the age of eating finger foods, I would prepare a large pot of these Southern Green Beans. They loved them especially my twin boys. I would cook them al dente and put them in a snack container for them to eat. Not only did they eat them as a snack during the day but I carried green beans everywhere we went. They loved them!
Cook these Southern Green Beans faster in your Pressure Cooker.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- 50 CLASSIC SOUTHERN COMFORT FOOD RECIPES
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Ultimate Green Bean Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole Bites
- CROCK POT CHEESY GREEN BEANS
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- BEST CANNED GREEN BEANS
- BEST SOUTHERN WHITE BEANS
- SOUTHERN BLACK-EYE PEAS
- CAJUN POTATO SALAD SHRIMP
- SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK PIE
- CHESS PIE A SOUTHERN FAVORITE!
- SOUTHERN TOMATO PIE BACON BASIL
BEST SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS
- 3 pounds fresh green beans (fresh is better, but you can use frozen green beans)
- 10 New potatoes washed and cut into bite sizes (or small golden potatoes)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 red onion diced small
- One garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- One teaspoons black pepper
- two teaspoons sugar
- enough water to cover the beans halfway up the pot.
- Fry the bacon in a large dutch oven on medium heat
- Remove the bacon and chop it into bite-size pieces.
- Saute the garlic and chopped onions until the onions are tender
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar
- Add the green beans, bacon, and chicken broth
- Plus, enough water to cover the beans halfway up the pot.
- Cook until beans are tender about 1 hour on low simmer heat
- TIME WILL DEPEND ON HOW HIGH YOUR HEAT IS ON YOUR STOVE.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK GREEN BEANS! THEY WILL GET MUSHY