Thank you for stopping by and checking out this delicious strawberry pretzel salad.
Are you here looking for a strawberry pretzel salad that will impress everyone? I am going to show you how to make every layer.
This Strawberry Pretzel Salad includes:
- A pretzel layer with crushed pretzels and butter.
- A cream cheese layer with cream cheese, sugar, and Cool Whip.
- A strawberry layer with strawberry jello and frozen sliced strawberries in juices.
You can always find this Strawberry Pretzel Salad on our table at most holidays or family gatherings.
Salad or Dessert?
I am not sure why it is called a salad. This Strawberry Pretzel Salad is more like a dessert with its creamy, sweet, cream cheese layer plus its strawberry jello with sweetened strawberries. The buttery pretzel crust gives this salad a sweet and salty taste which is why the ingredients work together so well.
First Time I had Strawberry Pretzel Salad
If you have never tried this salad, you will love it and get rave reviews. I can find this recipe in almost every one of my southern cookbooks, but the first time I made this Strawberry Pretzel Salad was in 1985. I was working in Humana Hospital in Montgomery, Alabama at the time and the employees put together a cookbook of their favorite recipes. As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I try every recipe that has a sweet and salty combination. I have been making this Strawberry Pretzel Salad almost 20 years now. It is a keeper!
Changes I Made To Original Recipe
Because I love cheesecake which is what the creamy layer reminds me of, I added an extra eight ounces of cream cheese. The thicker layer creamier cream cheese layer is fantastic!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad – Adapted from Humana East Montgomery Cookbook 1985. I have changed this recipe over the years to make a thicker pretzel crust layer and a thicker cream cheese layer. The extra cream cheese keeps the strawberry jello layer from getting to the pretzels. The salad seems to hold a little longer this way.
- 1st LAYER
- 3 cups pretzels, crushed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Four tablespoons sugar
- Mix these ingredients together and press them into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Take out of the oven and allow the pretzel layer to cool completely. For a special presentation, you could also use individual ramekins.
- 2nd LAYER
- 2 – 8 ounces packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 9 ounces Cool Whip
- Use an electric mixer to cream together the softened cream cheese and the sugar until fluffy. Turn the mixer off and fold in the Cool Whip. Add this cream cheese mixture to the cooled pretzel layer.
- 3rd LAYER
- One large 6 ounces box strawberry jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2-10 ounce packs frozen strawberries
- Dissolve the jello in the boiling water. Add the strawberries to the jello mixture. Stir until thawed and set in the freezer 5 minutes. Pour over the cream cheese mixture and refrigerate.
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
Many Thanks & Blessings,
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- NO-BAKE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE PIE
- 3 INGREDIENT NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE PIE
- CAJUN POTATO SALAD SHRIMP
- BEST BACON BROCCOLI SALAD
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.