A holiday meal would not be complete in the South without Sweet Potato Casserole, especially if you are preparing a ham or turkey.
The three different toppings on this sweet potato casserole allow everyone to get their favorite.
Sweet Potatoes On A Southern Holiday Table
Sweet Potatoes and ham or turkey just go together, like bacon and eggs or ham and cheese. Every holiday or special occasion, I rotate this scrumptious Sweet Potato Casserole with individual Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Both of these sweet potato recipes are fantastic. I have made this Casserole for decades. Each time, I made my sweet potato casserole someone complained about not having their favorite topping on it. So, I decided to add all three of our favorite toppings on these sweet potatoes.
Toppings on this Sweet Potato Casserole
This casserole includes a delicious praline pecan topping plus a marshmallow and a coconut topping. It makes everyone happy, happy, happy. After the pecan praline topping gets crunchy, I add mini marshmallows and coconut to the top of the pecan praline topping. Cover 1/3 of the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows, coconut on 1/3 of it, and I leave 1/3 of it with just the praline pecan crunchy topping.
Everyone Gets What They Like
Everyone gets their favorite topping on this casserole. My children love the toasted marshmallows with the sweet potatoes; my husband enjoys the coconut, and we all enjoy the praline pecan crunchy topping.
The closest source I found to this recipe is in my Southern Living Comfort Food cookbook. The main difference is I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to my casserole plus add the three toppings.
If you are looking for an easier sweet potato recipe, check out my slow cooker sweet potato casserole. It is super easy to make. Everything is prepared and made in the crock-pot.
BEST Sweet Potato Casserole
- Wash them and boil the sweet potatoes with their skins on. You do not have to cut the potatoes up before boiling them. Boil the sweet potatoes about 30 minutes until a fork goes in them easily. After boiling them, peel the skin off the sweet potatoes and mash them up.
- Combine all ingredients until creamy and place in a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the brown sugar topping before baking, recipe follows.
- • Combine all ingredients except the softened butter. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Add the mixture to the top of the sweet potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- After the topping is crunchy (about 35 minutes), remove the casserole from the oven and top 1/3 of it with 1 cup of marshmallows and 1/3 of it with 1 cup of coconut. Place it back in the oven for 10 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- BAKED STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
- CHEESY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- CHEESY HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
- BEST BACON BROCCOLI SALAD
- STRAWBERRY PRETZEL SALAD
- SUPER MOIST CORNBREAD DRESSING
- SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- BEST SOUTHERN WHITE BEANS
- SOUTHERN BLACK-EYED PEAS
- BROCCOLI YELLOW RICE CASSEROLE
- SOUTHERN GREEN BEANS
- BEST DEVILED EGGS – “BACON AND EGGS”
- LAYERED LETTUCE SALAD
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.