This Black Eyed Pea Cornbread Cheesy Sausage is not just a cornbread. It is a hearty flavorful cornbread meal loaded with black-eyed peas, corn, and cheese.
What is in this Blackeye Pea Cornbread?
I took my buttermilk cornbread recipe and loaded it up with black-eyed peas, sausage, cream corn, onions, and cheese. It is truly a meal and not just a side dish. Because of the cheese, corn, and black-eyed peas, it is incredibly moist and more like a cheesy corn pudding or corn casserole than cornbread.
I love cornbread which explains why I try lots of different types of cornbread using my homemade buttermilk cornbread recipe for the base.
Life at my house has been extremely busy this week.
Many of you know my son, Casey, plays high school baseball. He has two to four games a week. Casey also has been attending play practice for his school. My husband and my other kids have been very busy too. I truly needed an easy skillet meal. My crock-pot and my cast iron skillet are my favorite ways to cook on hectic days. I love mixing everything together and baking it in my cast iron skillet. One pot meals make life a little easier.
If you like black eye peas and cornbread, be sure to see the following recipes:
GET THESE RECIPES SENT TO YOUR EMAIL RIGHT NOW!
Best Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads & Sandwiches
Black Eyed Pea Sausage Cheesy Cornbread
This Black Eyed Pea Cornbread Cheesy Sausage is not just a cornbread. It is a hearty cornbread meal loaded with black-eyed peas, corn, and cheese.
- 1 cup plain cornmeal not cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- One tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 TB veggie oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cups buttermilk
- Two beaten eggs beaten
- 3 Tablespoons of butter melted in cast iron skillet
- 1 pound of ground sausage browned & drained
- A small onion or half a large onion.
- 1 - 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup creamed corn
- 1 - 15 ounce can black eye peas
- One teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and oil.
- Brown the sausage and onions together.
- Add the browned sausage & onions, cheddar cheese, cream corn, Cajun seasoning, and black eye peas.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet.
- Bake in a cast iron skillet. I love my cast iron skillet, and cornbread is delicious cooked in it.
- Bake 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add jalapeno or crumbled bacon to kick it up.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.