This Black Eyed Pea Cornbread Cheesy Sausage is not just a cornbread. It is a hearty flavorful cornbread meal loaded with black-eyed peas, corn, and cheese.
What is in this Blackeye Pea Cornbread?
I took my buttermilk cornbread recipe and loaded it up with black-eyed peas, sausage, cream corn, onions, and cheese. It is truly a meal and not just a side dish. Because of the cheese, corn, and black-eyed peas, it is incredibly moist and more like cheesy corn pudding or corn casserole than cornbread.
I love cornbread which explains why I try lots of different types of cornbread using my homemade buttermilk cornbread recipe for the base.
Life at my house has been extremely busy this week.
Many of you know my son, Casey, plays high school baseball. He has two to four games a week. Casey also has been attending play practice for his school. My husband and my other kids have been very busy too. I truly needed an easy skillet meal. My crock-pot and my cast iron skillet are my favorite ways to cook on hectic days. I love mixing everything together and baking it in my cast iron skillet. One-pot meals make life a little easier.
If you like black eye peas and cornbread, be sure to see the following recipes:
Black Eyed Pea Sausage Cheesy Cornbread
- 1 cup plain cornmeal not cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 TB veggie oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted in cast iron skillet
- 1 pound sausage ground, browned & drained
- 1 small onion
- 1 – 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup creamed corn
- 15 ounce black eye peas can
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and oil.
- Brown the sausage and onions together.
- Add the browned sausage & onions, cheddar cheese, cream corn, Cajun seasoning, and black eye peas.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet.
- Bake in a cast iron skillet. I love my cast iron skillet, and cornbread is delicious cooked in it.
- Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add jalapeno or crumbled bacon to kick it up.
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.