These light and tender Blueberry Orange Scones include a fantastic sweet citrus glaze. They are bursting with flavor.
Start your day with these Blueberry Orange Scones and a cup of coffee for a perfect breakfast. Orange scones are my favorite breakfast and such a hit at my house that I created several orange scone recipes including these Blueberry Orange scones, ORANGE POPPY SEED SCONES, and ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES. All of these scones have Orange zest in the dough. The fabulous citrus glaze includes orange zest and orange juice.
What is a scone?
If you can fix biscuits, you can make scones. A scone is a lightly sweetened biscuit with fruit or flavors. If you have never made scones before, I am going to teach you how.
This post includes step by step instructions with pictures and tips to help you make the perfect scone. So, let’s get started.
Scones Freeze Well
By the way, these scones freeze well for about a month. If you are having guests, make the scones ahead of time a freeze them. Add a layer of parchment or wax paper in between each layer of scones in a freezer container.
Cooking With Your Kids
These Blueberry Orange Scones are extra special to me because I made them with my son, Casey. Casey graduated from college May 2018. He had a few weeks off before starting medical school. He will graduate M.D. in 2022. It is rare that I get an opportunity to cook with Casey nor my oldest daughter, Carly, who is a pediatric resident. I urge you to make the time to spend in the kitchen with your children or grandchildren. The time they are with you goes by so fast. You will treasure these special moments.
First Step To Making Blueberry Orange Scones: Flour
Combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl. The dry ingredients include flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Use a whisk to sift the dry ingredients until light and fluffy with no clumps.
Second Step: Butter
Cold butter is a crucial step.
TIP: Freeze you butter for a few minutes. Do not take the butter out of the freezer until you are ready to use it. Grab your cheese grater and grate the butter over the flour. Next, use your fingers and gently coat each piece of butter with flour.
Third Step: Cream Cheese
Pinch the cream cheese into tiny pieces and sift it around with your hands to coat each piece of cream cheese with flour.
Third Step: Orange zest
Zest the orange and add it to the flour mixture. Stir this zest and flour.
Fourth Step: Liquids
Whisk together the egg and the heavy cream and add it to the flour mixture. Do not over mix! Mix the liquids into the dry ingredients until you no longer see any flour and it will form a ball.
Fifth Step: Roll Dough Out
Divide the dough into two equal parts. Using a dough mat, parchment paper, roll one of the halves of dough out. Lightly sprinkle the surface, dough, knife, and rolling pin with flour.
On one side of the scone dough that you rolled out, carefully press the blueberries into the dough. Next, fold the dough in half and shape it into a 3/4 inch circle.
Seventh Step: Shape orange Scones
You can use a biscuit cutter to cut your scones out, but the easiest way is to cut your dough like a pizza. Cut the dough in half and then in half again. You should have eight equal scones.
Eight Step: Bake These Fabulous Blueberry Orange Scones
Make sure your oven has preheated to 400 degrees and bake the scones for 20 minutes. They should be just turning tan.
Last Step: Glaze orange scones
Remove the scones from the oven and let them cool if you can. Beat together the butter, confectioners sugar, and orange zest. Slowly add in the orange juice. Coat the top of the scones with glaze. The easiest way to glaze the scones is the turn them upside down and dunk the top of them into the icing.
BLUEBERRY ORANGE SCONES
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter I grate my butter.
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into small pieces
- One egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- One tablespoon grated Orange zest
- One cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- One cup Confectioners sugar
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh Orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Grate the butter over the flour.
- Use a knife or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.
- Add the cream cheese.
- Add the grated orange peel.
- Whisk together the egg and heavy cream.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients. The dough will form a ball.
- Divide dough in two equal parts.
- Pat the dough on a floured surface. I use parchment paper.
- Carefully press in the blueberries to one side of the dough.
- Fold the dough over and shape it into a round.
- Gently roll the dough out about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut the dough like a pizza into eight triangle slices.
- Bake on spray cookie sheet OR Parchment Paper with 2 inches between each scone.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes until barely light tan. Do not over bake.
- Mix the butter, powder sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
- Brush icing on scones or dip the scones into the glaze.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- CINNAMON APPLE CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- OVEN FRIED BACON EASIEST WAY COOK BACON
- BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE DANISH
- ORANGE POPPY SEED SCONES
- LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- ORANGE CRANBERRY SCONES
- EASY ORANGE CRESCENT ROLLS
- BEST PUMPKIN BREAD
- 2 INGREDIENT CHERRY TURNOVER
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.