BLUEBERRY ORANGE SCONES
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter (I grate my butter.)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- One egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- One tablespoon grated Orange zest
- One cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- One cup Confectioners sugar
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh Orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Grate the butter over the flour.
- Use a knife or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour.
- Add the cream cheese.
- Add the grated orange peel.
- Whisk together the egg and heavy cream.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients. The dough will form a ball.
- Divide dough in two equal parts.
- Pat the dough on a floured surface. I use parchment paper.
- Carefully press in the blueberries to one side of the dough.
- Fold the dough over and shape it into a round.
- Gently roll the dough out about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut the dough like a pizza into eight triangle slices.
- Bake on spray cookie sheet OR Parchment Paper with 2 inches between each scone.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes until barely light tan. Do not over bake.
- Mix the butter, powder sugar, juice, and zest until smooth.
- Brush icing on scones or dip the scones into the glaze.