This Buttercream frosting is easy and delicious. It is my go-to recipe for cakes and cookies.
The best part about making cookies is decorating them. This post includes an easy recipe and tips for making beautiful buttercream frosting.
Earlier this week, I wrote a blog post on details and tips to cut out cookies. If you are rolling out cookies, please visit my post here.
World Food Championships
While competing in the World Food Championships in November 2017, I used a version of this buttercream frosting on my second dessert, my Pumpkin Praline Stack cake. Read all about my World Food Championship experience in an earlier post.
I enjoy decorating cookies with Royal Icing, but when I decorate cookies with my kids especially when they were younger, I made this Buttercream Frosting. It is simple to make and easy for even kids to spread on cookies. Kids love using sprinkles, M & M’s and their favorite candies to add on top of their icing. Buttercream frosting tastes great, and you do not have to worry about kids eating raw eggs. Buttercream does not contain eggs.
I save the Royal Icing, which requires a steady hand and time to dry, for my older children and myself. My special needs son made the Christmas tree cookies below all by himself. He was so proud of them which made me extremely happy.
STEP 1: Butter
Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter until fluffy.
STEP 2: Confectioners’ Sugar
- Sift the Confectioners’ Sugar and then measure it. Add the powdered sugar to a measuring cup and then level it off using a knife.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half of the sifted powdered sugar. If you add it fast or too much at one time, it will form a cloud of dust in your face.
Add the milk to the butter and sugar.
Add the rest of the confectioners’ sugar.
Separate your buttercream frosting into smaller bowls. How many bowls will depend on how many different colors you want to create?
Use the color paste to color your buttercream. Add a small amount of color paste at a time and mix well. Use a toothpick to get the color paste out of the small container. Mix well, and add more color if needed until you get the color you desire. You can always add more color, but you cannot take color out.
After your cookies cool, frost them with the buttercream.
Decorate with candies or sprinkles if desired.
Place your cookies on a large baking sheet. Cover it with plastic wrap. Depending on how much buttercream is on each cookie, it will harden overnight. You should be able to gently stack your cookies.
This post contains affiliate links below. I will make a small commission if you purchase these products BUT it will not cost you any extra money.
Please see my disclosure.
- MIX ‘N SCRAPER
- 3-CUP PREP BOWL SET
- GLASS MIXING BOWL SET
- GOTHAM STEEL – NON-STICK COOKIE SHEETS Made with Titanium & Steel
- SILICONE MATS
Buttercream Frosting For Cookies Tips & Tricks
This an easy delicious buttercream frosting. It is my go-to recipe for cakes and cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar – You want a thick buttercream for these cookies.
- Two teaspoons pure butter extract or almond, peppermint or lemon extract depending on what you used in the cookie dough.
- 5 tablespoons milk
- food coloring and sprinkles optional
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add the milk to the butter and sugar.
- Now, the rest of the confectioners' sugar.
- Add the butter flavoring. You could substitute the butter flavoring for almond, vanilla, peppermint or your favorite.
- Separate your buttercream frosting into smaller bowls. How many bowls will depend on how many different colors you want to create?
- Use the color paste to color your buttercream.
- After your cookies cool, frost them with the buttercream.
- Decorate with candies or sprinkles if desired.
- Place your cookies on a large baking sheet. Cover it with plastic wrap. Depending on how much buttercream is on each cookie, it will harden overnight. You should be able to gently stack your cookies.
Chocolate Buttercream Recipe You May Also Enjoy
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.