If you love potato salad and or Cajun food, you will love this Cajun Potato Salad.
I am ready for a Potato Salad Throwdown with Bobby Flay. This Cajun Potato Salad with shrimp is the best potato salad I have ever had. What is the secret method? See the video below.
Several years ago, while living in Louisiana.
While living in Louisiana, I was at a church feeding people who had come to work in the New Orleans area after Hurricane Katrina. For the first time, I tasted some Cajun Potato Salad. The man who prepared it did not tell me the recipe. He did tell me it is made using the leftover potatoes from a shrimp or crawfish boil.
What Is A Crawfish Boil?
If you have never been to a shrimp or crawfish boil, a HUGE stockpot is used to boil shrimp, crawfish, potatoes, corn on the cob, and onions all in crab boil seasoning. It is pure greatness. The potatoes soak up the seasoning from the crab boil mix. They are spicy and out of this world delicious. If you know someone who enjoys Cajun food, you have to make this potato salad today.
What is in this Cajun Potato Salad?
This Cajun Potato Salad includes Crab Boil, Shrimp, Cajun seasoning, Creole mustard, red potatoes, mayo, relish, celery, Worcestershire, bacon, boiled eggs, black pepper, and garlic. The ingredients are a fantastic combination of flavors. If you enjoy Cajun food, you will fall in love with this Cajun Potato Salad.
What is the secret method for making Cajun Potato Salad?
I went home immediately and made my regular potato salad, which everyone usually raves about, but I first cooked the potatoes in crab boil seasoning. After the potatoes had finished cooking, I saved the water into another pot.
Next, I cooked the shrimp in the same water.
Both the potatoes and the shrimp are cooked in crab boil seasoning. I then added some Cajun seasoning and came up with my version. This potato salad can get spicy, especially the more time the potatoes sit in the seasoned water, but I do not rinse the potatoes. The mayo cuts a lot of the heat.
What is the best potato to use for potato salad?
The potatoes you use for your potato salad will make a difference in the texture of your salad. Potatoes that hold their shape when cooked like Yukon Gold or red potatoes are best when making potato salad. They will keep their firm texture and will not be destroyed when tossing them with the dressing.
Do you cut red potatoes before boiling?
You do not have to peel red potatoes before boiling them. The skin adds flavor and nutrients.
Is it better to boil potatoes whole or cut them up?
Your potatoes will cook quicker when you cut them into chunks before boiling them. You can leave the potatoes whole, but it will take much longer to cook them. If you are using a potato that can become mushy during the cooking process, you might want to cook them whole.
Do you boil water before adding the potatoes?
Add your potatoes to the water before it starts boiling. Adding your potatoes to the water after the water is boiling will cause the outside of the potatoes to cook faster than the inside of the potatoes. By the time they are fork-tender or fully cooked, the outside will be mushy.
How long should you boil potatoes?
Use a large pot and cover with cold water about two inches above the potatoes. Add your crab boil, and bring the potatoes to a boil over medium heat. Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes after you can easily slide a fork in them.
Growing Up In Mobile, Alabama
Growing up in Mobile, Alabama, we had shrimp boils, and in Louisiana, we had crawfish boils. We regularly caught the seafood or purchased it fresh from someone who had just caught it. Living in Arkansas, we do not have access to fresh shrimp or crawfish. So, I used two pounds of frozen shrimp that I know you will have in your local grocery store. The benefit of the frozen shrimp is you can purchase them already peeled. I used Zatarain’s Crab Boil.
See How To Make Oven-Fried Bacon here. It is the easiest way to prepare bacon.
If you enjoy Cajun food, try these flavorful recipes.
- SLOW COOKER CAJUN SMOTHERED STEAK
- CAJUN POTATO SALAD SHRIMP
- CAJUN SKILLET ALFREDO
- SKILLET CHICKEN CAJUN
- CAJUN ROAST BEEF PO BOY
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE GUMBO CAJUN
- CAJUN CRAWFISH CORNBREAD
Who Dat! Best Cajun Potato Salad with Shrimp
- 5 pounds new potatoes washed and cut into equal bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs of shrimp
- 1/4 cup crab boil seasoning
- 1 -1/2 cups mayo
- 1/2 lbs bacon cooked hard and crumbled - see oven bacon recipe on the blog.
- 2 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup celery chopped fine
- 6 boiled eggs sliced eggs
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- Wash and cut New Potatoes similar in size.
- Boil them until tender in Crab/Shrimp Boil seasoning in a large pot.
- Drain the water from the potatoes into another pot. Leave the potatoes in the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp until pink. DO NOT over cook.
- Do not wash the potatoes off. The mayo cuts the spice.
- Remove shrimp from the water. Peel and cut up if needed.
- Combine the potatoes, shrimp, chopped celery, sliced eggs, and crumbled bacon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, creole mustard, Worcestershire, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Mix the dressing well with the potato, shrimp, celery, eggs, and bacon.
100% Free 30-page ebook Cooking Tips & Hacks including Quick and Easy Recipes
...So you can spend precious time with your family around the table enjoying a meal together.