Thank you for our stopping by and checking out this Cajun Potato Salad!
If you love potato salad and or Cajun food, you will love this Cajun Potato Salad.
I am ready for a Potato Salad Throwdown with Bobby Flay. This Cajun Potato Salad with shrimp is the best potato salad I have ever had. What is the secret method? See video below.
Several years ago while living in Louisiana
While living in Louisiana, I was at a church feeding people who had come to work in the New Orleans area after Hurricane Katrina. For the first time, I tasted some Cajun Potato Salad. The man who prepared it did not tell me the recipe. He did tell me that Cajun Potato Salad is made using the leftover potatoes from a shrimp or crawfish boil.
What Is A Crawfish Boil?
If you have never been to a shrimp or crawfish boil, a HUGE stock pot is used to boil shrimp, crawfish, potatoes, corn on the cob, and onions all in crab boil seasoning. It is pure greatness. The potatoes soak up the seasoning from the crab boil mix. They are spicy and out of this world delicious. If you know someone who enjoys Cajun food, you have to make this potato salad today.
What is in this Cajun Potato Salad?
This Cajun Potato Salad includes Crab Boil, Shrimp, Cajun seasoning, Creole mustard, red potatoes, mayo, relish, celery, Worcestershire, bacon, boiled eggs, black pepper, and garlic. This is a fantastic combination of flavors. If you enjoy Cajun food, you will fall in love with this Cajun Potato Salad.
What is the secret method for making Cajun Potato Salad?
I went home immediately and made my regular potato salad, which everyone usually raves about, but I first cooked the potatoes in crab boil seasoning. After the potatoes had finished cooking, I saved the water into another pot.
Next, I cooked the shrimp in the same water.
Both the potatoes and the shrimp cooked in crab boil seasoning. I then added some Cajun seasoning and came up with my version. This potato salad can get spicy especially the longer the potatoes sit in the seasoned water, but I do not rinse the potatoes. The mayo cuts a lot of the heat.
Growing Up In Mobile, Alabama
Growing up in Mobile, Alabama, we had shrimp boils, and in Louisiana, we had crawfish boils. We regularly caught the seafood or purchased it fresh from someone who had just caught it. Living in Arkansas, we do not have access to fresh shrimp or crawfish. So, I used two pounds of frozen shrimp that I know you will have in your local grocery store. The benefit of the frozen shrimp is you can purchase them already peeled.
- 5 pounds new potatoes, washed and cut into equal bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs of shrimp
- 1/4 cup crab boil seasoning
- 1 -1/2 cups mayo
- 1/2 lbs bacon, cooked hard and crumbled – see oven bacon recipe on the blog.
- Two tablespoons creole mustard
- One tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
- Six boiled, sliced eggs
- Two teaspoons Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- Wash and cut New Potatoes similar in size.
- Boil them until tender in Crab/Shrimp Boil seasoning in a large pot.
- Drain the water from the potatoes into another pot. Leave the potatoes in the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp until pink. DO NOT over cook.
- Do not wash the potatoes off. The mayo cuts the spice.
- Remove shrimp from the water. Peel and cut up if needed.
- Combine the potatoes, shrimp, chopped celery, sliced eggs, and crumbled bacon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, creole mustard, Worcestershire, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Mix the dressing well with the potato, shrimp, celery, eggs, and bacon.
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
Many Thanks & Blessings,
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.