I baked these meatballs in the oven and tossed them in the slow cooker with homemade Spaghetti Sauce. The meatballs are perfect and easy for a crowd to build their own Cheesy Meatball Subs.
Cheesy Meatballs Subs Family Favorite
My youngest daughter, Diana, who will be 13 this summer, tells me that Cheesy Meatballs Subs are her favorite food. She loves everything made with a red sauce including marinara pasta, pizza, spaghetti, and more. She only weighs seventy-five pounds but can eat two of these subs and claims they are the best sandwich ever. No! We are not Italian, and neither is Diana. She was adopted from Eastern Europe. She loves her Italian food.
I use an ice cream scoop to make the same size meatballs. Next, I place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake them. After the meatballs have cooked, I add them to my homemade Spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker. They stay warm for when you are ready to make your Cheesy Meatball Subs. I let everyone build their meatball sub on a soft hoagie roll or even a hot dog bun. My kids had always enjoyed preparing their plate even when they were younger. Diana especially enjoys building a Cheesy Meatball sub. She simply adds some Mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the sub. Then layers the meatballs with the spaghetti sauce. She then tops it off with more Mozzarella cheese.
These meatballs and spaghetti sauce are perfect over pasta too, or I have even mixed the pasta in with the sauce. I have never tried adding my uncooked pasta to the slow cooker, but I plan on trying it soon. I will let you know if it works.
Cheesy Meatball Subs
- 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Two tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- One teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Two eggs lightly beaten
- Sub Rolls
- Mozzarella cheese
- SPAGHETTI SAUCE:
- One medium chopped onion
- 1 TB minced garlic clove
- One 6 ounces can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 TB sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Two bay leafs
- 2-15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low at least 3 to 4 hours.
- While sauce is cooking, mix the ground beef, Parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, bread crumbs, and eggs.
- Use an ice cream scoop and place the meatballs on a large baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with a cooking spray.
- Bake the meatballs at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and place them into the slow cooker with spaghetti sauce.
- When you get ready for your cheesy meatball sub:
- Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese to the bottom of the sub roll.
- And,Add the meatballs and spaghetti sauce on top of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Plus, Add additional cheese on top of the meatballs
- Use an ice cream scoop to make perfect meatballs every time.
- Remove bay leaf from your spaghetti sauce before adding the meatballs.
- You can brown the meatballs in a skillet on top of the stove using a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil instead of browning the meatballs in the oven. After browning the meatballs on all sides, add them to the slow cooker filled with spaghetti sauce.