Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie is a perfect combination for Fall. This dish is pure comfort food at its best.
The chicken pot pie filling is screaming fall flavors and the cornbread is super easy to make using a cornbread mix. It is not difficult to do but has a few steps. No worries! I am going to teach you step by step how to prepare this delicious Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie.
I started to make this chicken pot pie with cornbread topping in my cast iron skillet, but after adding a few ingredients, I realized it was not big enough. So, I decided to make it in my cast iron dutch oven. The Dutch Oven gave it plenty of room to bubble without bubbling over in the oven. You can use any Dutch Oven but the Cast Iron Dutch Oven is the pictures is my favorite.
Cook The Chicken
Trim the fat off of three large chicken breasts. Sprinkle the chicken well with salt, pepper, and garlic. Bake it cooked and cut into small pieces (I seasoned my chicken with salt,
pepper, and garlic before baking)
Prepare The Potato
This recipe calls for one large potato. I added the potato because my family love them. The potato absorbs seasonings and tastes amazing in this cornbread pot pie. Peel and dice the potato into small pieces. Boil the diced potatoes for 10 minutes.
Combine The Filling
In a large dutch oven, mix the cream celery soup, cream chicken soup, chicken broth, half and half, salt, pepper, garlic, poultry seasoning, diced onion, half & half, chopped chicken, mixed vegetables, potatoes, boil eggs and mix well.
Prepare The Cornbread For The Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie
Drizzle the cornbread mix all over the pot pie evenly. I did not do a great job with spreading my cornbread evenly on top of my pot pie. I was trying to take a picture with one hand while drizzling the cornbread evenly with the other hand.
Bake 350 degrees F for 50 Minutes
Bake the Dutch Oven Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown, and the pot pie is bubbly.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
The following items were used to make this recipe.
CHICKEN POT PIE CORNBREAD TOP
- POT PIE
- 1 14 ounces can chicken broth
- One can condense cream of celery soup
- One can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup half and half
- Three large chicken breasts OR about 3½ cups chopped chicken or turkey cooked and cut into small pieces (I seasoned my chicken with salt,
- pepper and garlic before baking)
- One medium diced onion
- 1 pound frozen mixed veggies 16 ounces
- 1 teaspoon each salt pepper, and garlic
- 1-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- One potato diced small and preboiled for 10 minutes
- Three eggs boiled and sliced
- Peel and dice the potato in small pieces.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven, mix the soups, chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic, poultry seasoning, diced onion, half & half, chopped chicken OR turkey, mixed vegetables, potatoes, and eggs and mix well.
- Mix up the cornbread according to the directions on the package.
- Drizzle the cornbread all over the pot pie evenly.
- Bake, 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the biscuits, are light brown, and the pot pie is bubbly and cornbread is brown.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- ONE SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE
- FLAVORFUL CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- ITALIAN PASTA BAKE DROP BISCUITS
- BEST EVER FRIED CHICKEN
- The Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pie
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.