If you do not like grits, you need to try these creamy flavorful cheesy grits. They are the most flavorful grits I have ever had.
I am going way back to my roots with these cheesy grits. I ate these grits several times a week growing up. Today, I still eat them and love every bite of these flavorful creamy cheesy grits. To me, they are the ultimate comfort food, especially with a runny egg. I cannot believe after six years of blogging that I have never given you my simple flavorful cheesy grits recipe.
After reading this post, I hope you will give cheesy grits a try. I am going to teach you each step to making amazing cheesy grits. No self-respecting Southerner uses instant grits. We take pride in our grits.
Secrets To Making Flavorful Creamy Cheesy Grits
If you read the back of a bag of grits, it will tell you to cook them in water. DO NOT COOK GRITS IN WATER!
- Cook your grits in a combination of chicken broth and milk. The flavor of the chicken broth soaks into the grits as they cook adding not only flavor but salt which grits need.
- Use a whisk and constantly stir your grits while cooking. Grits will get lumpy easily.
- Add real butter for tons more flavor.
- Next, add shredded cheddar cheese and then add even more cheese.
If you can find Regular grits or stone-ground grits, use them. They are hard to find in the stores near me. If you can find them, they will take longer to cook about 30 minutes. Regular grits or stone-ground grits are “the real deal” and worth the effect and time it takes to prepare them.
The time and consistency are the difference in the kinds of grits!
Instant grits are dehydrated Instant grits that have been partially cooked so they only take a few minutes to prepare in boiling water.
Quick grits are physically smaller because they are ground to a finer grain. As a result, they cook faster, and they’re pretty good. For convenience, I often use quick grits.
Bring The Liquids To A Bowl
Combine chicken broth, milk, water, salt, pepper and butter in a large saucepan.
Bring to a boil and stir in grits.
Reduce heat and cook QUICK GRITS for 7 minutes, stirring often to reduce lumpy grits.
Remove the grits from the heat and stir in shredded cheese.
Enjoy with eggs or as a side dish for dinner.
Top With Additional Cheese When Serving
CREAMY CHEESY GRITS
- Combine chicken broth, milk, water, salt, pepper and butter in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir in grits.
- Reduce heat and cook QUICK GRITS for 7 minutes, stirring often to reduce lumpy grits.
- Remove the grits from the heat and stir in shredded cheese.
- Enjoy with eggs or as a side dish for dinner.
- Serves 8.
Breakfast Recipes You Should Try
- OVEN FRIED BACON EASIEST WAY COOK BACON
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
- CHOCOLATE GRAVY & BISCUITS FOR BREAKFAST
- CREAMY CHEESY GRITS
- SPRITE BISCUITS SUPER LIGHT FLUFFY
- WHY LEARN TO MAKE SOUTHERN BISCUITS?
- SOUTHERN TOMATO PIE BACON BASIL
- SOUTHERN PEACHES FRITTERS
- AMAZING APPLE FRITTERS
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.