I knew David Venable’s Ultimate Mac & Cheese would be the best Mac & Cheese I have ever had.
I totally enjoy watching David Venable’s show on QVC called In The Kitchen with David. I love seeing David review all the new kitchen gadgets, appliances, cookware, food, and cookbooks. He is also from the south and truly loves food. If you watch him, you already know how much he eats and eats and eats. All the recipes he has on the show look delicious but I had to try his Ultimate Mac & Cheese.
David Venable’s Cookbook
When I saw he had a cookbook, In The Kitchen with David, with his favorite recipes in it, I was sold. I knew the recipes must be good. He sees a lot of food on his show and so must know what is good. The cookbook is loaded with great Comfort Food recipes and foreword written by Paula Deen. You know I love Paula!! So after reading the entire cookbook and drooling over all the great recipes, I decided to make one of my family’s favorite foods, which is also one of David’s favorite foods, the ULTIMATE MACARONI, and CHEESE.
I have a great Macaroni and Cheese recipe on my blog, but it is more for everyday Macaroni and Cheese. You will probably already have most of those ingredients on hand. David’s Macaroni and Cheese is for that special Sunday Dinner or any other special occasion. You probably will not have all five different types of cheeses on hand. I know David’s Macaroni and Cheese is sooooooo OOEY, GOOEY because of all the different kinds and the amounts of cheese in this dish.
Like David, I too believe it is the Best Macaroni and Cheese I have ever had. A HANDS DOWN WINNER!!
GET THESE RECIPES SENT TO YOUR EMAIL RIGHT NOW!
Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads & Sandwiches
David’s Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese – I did not change David’s ingredients. I wanted to see if this is truly the Ultimate Mac and Cheese.
David’s Ultimate Mac & Cheese from QVC
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 pound cavatappi rotini, or fusilli pasta
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 6 ounces shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 ounces Velveeta cubed
- 1/4 cup 1 ounce freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper I used 1/2 teaspoon because my bacon was peppered bacon.
- 6 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt. The pasta should be tender but firm to the bite (Al dente).
- Remove the pasta from the stove and drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the half-and-half in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the stove and allow the half-and-half to cool 5 minutes. Remove 2 cups of half-and-half and slowly whisk it into the beaten eggs. Next, add the other cup of half-and-half. This will prevent the eggs from scrambling. (I cheated with this step and used my microwave about 2 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of the sharp Cheddar cheese, all the mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Velveeta, and Parmigiano Reggiano, and the cup of milk into the saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan on medium-low heat to melt all the cheeses. Do not allow the mixture to boil. (I used the microwave for this step too.)
- Add in the mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Add the pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Pour into a 4-quart baking dish.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar to the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the crumbled bacon to the top.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.