Skillet Chicken Pesto Pizza made in minutes with jar pesto sauce. It is a perfect weekday meal.
This post includes Step By Step Detailed Instructions For Making this easy Skillet Chicken Pesto Pizza.
Thank you for stopping by to see this chicken pesto pizza. Let’s get started learning how to make it by breaking down the steps. By putting details in each step, I am hoping that you will see how simple it is to make. Do not worry about not being able to print the recipe and instructions; you will find a printable version at the bottom of this post too.
Preheat the Oven & Prepare the Skillet
While the oven is preheating to 400 degrees, take out your cast iron skillet or an oven safe 10 or 12-inch skillet. Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub the inside of the skillet well with the oil.
Cast Iron Skillet To Make Pizza
If you have never used your cast iron skillet to make a pizza, you are missing out. The bottom and sides of the crust get incredibly crunchy while the center stays nice and soft. The crunchy soft crust is particularly the case when using a smaller skillet where the dough is thick.
Prepare the Pizza Dough
At the Roark home, we make a lot of different kinds of pizza with various kinds of dough. I have made pizza using homemade pizza dough, frozen yeast rolls, frozen yeast bread, and store-bought pizza crust. But for a quick weekday meal, I grab a can of Pillsbury pizza dough found with the can biscuits. This recipe includes one can of Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust. Just unroll the pizza dough and place it into the prepared skillet. I pre-baked the pizza dough for 15 minutes on 400 degrees before adding the toppings.
Add Pesto to the Pizza
After baking the crust for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and layer the pesto on the crust. In this particular pizza, I used a jar of store-bought pesto, Barilla Traditional Basil Pesto Sauce. I also make an easy homemade pesto that is delicious.
Let’s Talk Chicken
Season a chicken or two depending on the size with salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Completely cover both sides well with the seasoning and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. You can do this a day to 4 or 5 days in advance. If you cook the chicken ahead of time, it will help you whip up this chicken pesto pizza in no time.
How About the Cheese?
Cover the top of the chicken and pesto with cheese. You can add as much or as little cheese as you would like. We love melted gooey cheese on our pizza’s so I added two cups of Mozzarella cheese to cover all our pizzas.
Top the Skillet Chicken Pesto Pizza with Mozzarella Cheese
Top the cheese with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle well with salt and Italian seasoning. I also topped all my pizzas with fresh basil since I have it growing in pots year-round. Place the pizza back into the 400-degree oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Remove from the Skillet Chicken Pesto Pizza from the Oven
Take the pizza from the oven when the cheese has completely melted. Carefully, take a knife around the edges of the skillet. Slide the pizza right out of the skillet and onto a cutting board.
SKILLET CHICKEN PESTO PIZZA
- Use a cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet plus one tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 - 13.8 ounce can Pillsbury Classic Pizza Dough
- 8 to 10- ounce jar of store-bought pesto
- One Large Chicken Breast
- One teaspoon each salt pepper, garlic & Italian seasoning for chicken
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- One small tomato sliced thin
- One teaspoon Italian seasoning to top pizza
- Fresh Basil optional
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Wipe the cast iron skillet well with a tablespoon of Vegetable oil.
- Unroll the Pizza dough and lay it flat in the skillet.
- Press the edges of the dough to the sides of the skillet.
- Bake the pizza dough 15 minutes.
- Season the chicken well with salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Chop the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Layer the pesto on the pizza.
- Add the chopped chicken.
- Top the chicken with Mozzarella cheese and then sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with Italian seasoning and basil.
- Bake, 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese, is gooey.
Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
Have a Fabulous Week!
Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
Other Recipes You May Enjoy!
- CHICKEN BACON RANCH PIZZA
- SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
- Pizza Piggies
- 4 Ingredient Pizza Pull-Apart Bread
- ONE SKILLET ROLO SKILLET COOKIE
- ULTIMATE MAC & CHEESE ON QVC From David Venable
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.