Thank you for stopping by and checking out these amazing Chicken Enchiladas.
What makes these Chicken Enchiladas the best? They are made with an amazing homemade easy to make enchilada sauce.
My Family Loves Mexican Food
I really enjoy Mexican food is including these chicken enchiladas, but I found a way to make them even better. Typically, I prepare enchiladas using a canned enchilada sauce. The canned enchilada sauce is delicious in this recipe, so I had no idea what I was missing.
Fellow Blogger’s Homemade Enchilada Sauce
After checking out a fellow blogger’s recipe for homemade red enchilada sauce, I just had to try it. Chef Dennis is a real chef, so I knew the sauce was going to be delicious. I made the sauce the first time and used it in my crock pot enchiladas. It was the best enchilada sauce I had ever had. It worked perfectly in these oven baked enchiladas too.
Using your slow cooker to prepare the chicken
These enchiladas are quick to put together if you prepare the Mexican chicken ahead of time using your slow cooker. I double my slow cooker Mexican Chicken recipe so I can have plenty of sauce for several Mexican dishes. The chicken from the crock pot simply shreds apart and is perfect for these enchiladas.
Bake Chicken In Oven
If you do not prepare the chicken in the slow cooker first, simply season and bake three large chicken breast in your oven. Next, chop the chicken up as small as you can. The chicken has to be cooked before preparing these chicken enchiladas.
How to Make Enchilada Red Sauce? By Ask Chef Dennis
While the chicken is baking in the oven, make the enchilada sauce. If you are using canned enchilada sauce, use two cups. If you have time, please try Chef Dennis’ sauce. Chef Dennis is a blogger from Florida. He blogs about how to make restaurant style dishes in your home. He nailed it with this red enchilada sauce.
Ingredients for Homemade Enchilada Sauce
The sauce includes chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion. You start with a little oil and flour to make a roux. Next, you add the tomato sauce and seasonings. Since this enchilada recipe belongs to Chef Dennis, I am adding a link to Chef Dennis Enchilada Sauce. If you have never made homemade enchilada red sauce before, give it a try. You will love it.
I use flour tortillas because I am a flour kind of girl. Do not even get me started talking about how much I love homemade flour tortillas. I visited a Mexican restaurant in San Antonio where I fell deeper in love with them.
Homemade Flour Tortillas
The lady was making homemade flour tortillas. I could see her through a large window. I could have stood there all day watching her. She placed the dough in a very old machine that was flattening it out. The flour tortillas were coming out one after the other like the candy episode in “I Love Lucy”.
This Mexican restaurant is the only place I had ever eaten where they serve you hot homemade flour tortillas with butter and honey before the meal. Forget the chips and salsa; these homemade warm flour tortillas were the best! I will never forget these tortillas. I cannot wait to go back to San Antonio one day to eat some more homemade flour tortillas
What is inside these CHICKEN ENCHILADAS?
After mixing up the shredded chicken, chopped onions, sour cream, cream mushroom soup, chopped green chilies, I divided the mixture into 12 equal tortillas. I am famous for using my ice cream scoop for everything including adding the filling to these flour tortillas. It works perfectly for distributing equal amounts. I then shaped the mixture into a hot dog size and wrap the flour tortilla up. The tortillas get layered into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Next, I layered two cups of homemade enchiladas sauce and 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese; Monterey Jack Cheese works great too. After baking them, these chicken enchiladas come out cheesy and so delicious.
Do not ask me about freezing them. This time, I made two 9 x 13 pans full, and both containers were gone in two days. I told you they were good.
Tip: Shred Chicken Fast
- Use your stand mixer and paddle attachment to shred chicken fast.
- If cooking the chicken in a slow cooker or pressure cooker, you can use a hand mixer to quickly shred the chicken right in the pot.
Best Chicken Enchiladas
- First of all add 4 cups chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- Season the chicken with three teaspoons Mexican seasoning like taco or fajita to season the chicken before baking
- One teaspoon Mexican seasoning to add to the chicken sour cream filling
- Add 8 ounces sour cream
- And 1 - 10 3/4 ounce cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese OR Monterey Jack cheese divided (1 cup in the chicken filling and 2 cups on top of everything)
- One small can chop green chilies drained (Mexican isle)
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 cups enchilada sauce See Chef Dennis homemade enchilada sauce recipe OR use 2 cups can enchilada sauce.
- If you did not make the shredded Mexican chicken in the crock-pot, see link above, season the chicken breast well with three teaspoons Mexican seasoning. (Fajita or Taco)
- Bake chicken 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and chop into small pieces.
- If making homemade enchilada sauce (see Chef Dennis recipe above), prepare it while the chicken is in the oven.
- Mix the chopped chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, onion, 1 cup of cheese, Mexican seasoning and the can of chopped green chilies.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly into 12 flour tortillas. I used a large ice cream scoop.
- Shape like a doughnut and roll the tortillas up.
- Place the flour tortillas and chicken mixture in a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
- Next, Add two cups of enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas.
- Cover the enchilada sauce with 2 cups of Mexican cheese or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING
- CROCK POT MOIST MEATLOAF SECRETS
- SOUTHERN FUDGY COCA COLA CAKE
- CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS IN CROCKPOT
- HASH BROWNS AND HAM SLOW COOKER CHEESY CASSEROLE
- CROCK POT CHICKEN ENCHILADASCROCK POT CHICKEN & STUFFING
- MOIST MEATLOAF EVERY TIME
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.