I am happy you decided to stop by and check out this easy, healthy recipe. Are you looking for a delicious chili recipe that is healthier?
Today, I am sharing my secret to making this scrumptious Flavorful Turkey Chili. You will never know it is turkey and not beef. I am determined to help you make this recipe turn out delicious the first time you prepare it.
My family enjoys my homemade chili, but my husband and I are trying to eat a little healthier. I replace the ground beef and the ground sausage with Jennie-O Ground Turkey. It ‘s hard to make a separate meal for my teens, so I was hoping they would eat this Flavorful Turkey Chili. I was sure Casey, one of my 18-year-old sons, would say something about the chili not being “normal” but he did NOT. He even said how much he enjoyed this Flavorful Turkey Chili. Next time, I am doubling this recipe. It would be great on Nachos, baked potato, hot dogs, and even a hamburger which is Casey’s favorite way of eating his chili.
The secret to making this Flavorful Turkey Chili?
I increased all the seasonings including Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic, Oregano, Basil, and pepper.
My regular chili is seasoned well with ground Italian sausage, but I did not want to use sausage in this healthy chili. Since this turkey chili was missing the flavor from the Italian sausage, it gave me an idea to increase all the seasonings. I am glad I did. This turkey chili is not spicy, but it has a tremendous amount of flavor.
Want To Download 8 More Slow Cooker Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who receive our newsletter.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more).
Please see my disclosure.
The following items were used to make this recipe.
Just for Fun: Collegiate Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds of ground turkey (browned)
- 2 - 15-ounce cans of dark kidney beans
- 1 - 15 can of light kidney beans
- One large chopped onion
- ½ cup of salsa
- two 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounces) can water
- One tablespoon brown sugar
- Three teaspoons ground cumin
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- Three teaspoons garlic powder
- Two teaspoons oregano
- Two teaspoons basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Brown ground turkey.
- Add seasonings including cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add onions, drained beans, salsa, tomato sauce, water, and brown sugar and simmer on low for at least an hour. I rinse my beans to remove extra salt.
- If using your crock-pot, cook on low 4 to 6 hours. Brown the ground turkey in a skillet and then add it to the slow cooker.
- If using your stockpot, simmer for at least an hour, longer would be better.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Tips to serve this chili.
When it gets cooler outside, chili is the perfect meal. If you are having a party or football gathering, try having a chili bar. There are so many ways to serve it. Try some of these ideas:
- A baked potato
- Add it directly to a bag of corn chips or nachos
- Over a or even hamburgers
- Chili Quesadillas with cheese
- In a cornbread casserole bake
- Make some
- Serve it in a bread bowl
- Make some .
Do you need easy and delicious soup recipes to help you warm up this winter? Maybe an easy slow cooker recipe? How about these Soup Recipes? They are Tried and True Family Favorites and I am going to show you how to prepare them.
Want To Download 50 Easy Recipes?
Join 4,800 people who follow our newsletter.