Warm-up with this Flavorful Fabulous French Onion Soup. It is easy to make and tastes as you ordered it from an expensive restaurant.
What are the ingredients in this French Onion Soup? It includes butter, flour, sweet onions, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, Thyme, beef stock, croutons, and Swiss cheese.
Caramelized onions are incredibly sweet and delicious on burgers.
Everyone in my family loves caramelized onions on their burgers, I typically prepare them in my slow cooker. The last time I fixed caramelized onions, my oldest son, Casey, said “mom why don’t you make your French Onions Soup because you have never blogged about it. I can not believe I have never blogged about this French Onion Soup. It is Fabulous.
So, Today is the day!
If you are a caramelized onion fan, you have to try this soup. The Worcestershire with the Italian seasoning and garlic croutons and Thyme are such a comforting combination.
My Family Was Speechless
A few days ago, when we enjoyed this soup for dinner, it was complete silence at the table. That is saying a lot. My oldest kids were home from college and medical school. We may look sweet, but we can be deafening particularly at the dinner table when everyone wants to talk. After serving this soup, I glanced around the table to see everyone stringing their cheese and enjoying every bite of this French Onion Soup.
HOW TO MAKE FABULOUS FRENCH ONION SOUP
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- One tablespoon flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions OR other sweet onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Two teaspoons black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Three tablespoons Worcheshire Sauce
- Six springs Thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons ground Thyme
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 cups garlic croutons
- 8 to 12 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese – depends on the size of the opening of your bowl
- Four oven-safe soup bowls
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and bring onion to a simmer.
- Stir the onions often.
- Cook the onions 15 to 20 minutes until translucent. The longer you cook the onions, the sweeter they will be. Watch and stir the onion often. Do not burn them.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and Worcheshire Sauce
- Add the flour to the onions and cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in the beef broth and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the Thyme and Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler
- Ladle the soup into four soup bowls.
- Put the soup bowls on a baking sheet.
- Cover each bowl with two slices of cheese.
- Add 3/4 cup croutons on top of the cheese
- Next, add a piece of cheese on top of the croutons.
- Put the soup under the broiler just until the cheese melts.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- SLOW COOKER TOMATO SOUP
- CROCKPOT PIZZA SOUP
- SLOW COOKER BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- 15 QUICK & EASY DELICIOUS SLIDERS
Did you sign up for our newsletter? Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.