Warm up with this Flavorful Fabulous French Onion Soup. It is easy to make and tastes like you ordered it from an expensive restaurant.
What are the ingredients in this French Onion Soup? It includes butter, flour, sweet onions, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, Worcheshire sauce, Thyme, beef stock, croutons, and Swiss cheese.
Caramelized onions are incredibly sweet and delicious on burgers.
Since Everyone in my family loves caramelized onions on their burgers, I typically prepare them in my slow cooker. The last time I fixed caramelized onions, my oldest son, Casey, said “mom why don’t you make your French Onions Soup because you have never blogged about it. I can not believe I have never blogged about this French Onion Soup. It is Fabulous.
So, Today is the day!
If you are a caramelized onion fan, you have to try this soup. The Worcestershire with the Italian seasoning and garlic croutons and Thyme are such a comforting combination.
My Family Was Speechless
A few days ago, when we enjoyed this soup for dinner, it was complete silence at the table. That is saying a lot. My oldest kids were home from college and medical school. We may look sweet, but we can be deafening particularly at the dinner table when everyone wants to talk. After serving this soup, I glanced around the table to see everyone stringing their cheese and enjoying every bite of this French Onion Soup.
Please Help My Blog, Recipes For Our Daily Bread, Grow
- Hit the share buttons to the left of the page and share this post on your social media.
- Follow Recipes For Our Daily Bread On Social Media
- Follow my travel blog, Our American Travels on Social Media
- Sign up for my newsletters below. You will receive downloadable recipes plus updates letting you know when I add a new recipe.
15 COOKIE RECIPES YOU MUST TRY
Join 5,000 people who receive our newsletter and download these recipes FREE.
Many Thanks & Blessings,
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- One tablespoon flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions OR other sweet onions
- One teaspoon salt
- Two teaspoons black pepper
- One teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Three tablespoons Worcheshire Sauce
- Six springs Thyme or 3/4 teaspoon ground Thyme
- 5 cups beef stock
- 3 cups garlic croutons
- 8 to 12 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese – depends on the size of the opening of your bowl
- Four oven-safe soup bowls
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and bring onion to a simmer.
- Stir the onions often.
- Cook the onions 15 to 20 minutes until translucent. The longer you cook the onions, the sweeter they will be. Watch and stir the onion often. Do not burn them.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and Worcheshire Sauce
- Add the flour to the onions and cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in the beef broth and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the Thyme and Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler
- Ladle the soup into four soup bowls.
- Put the soup bowls on a baking sheet.
- Cover each bowl with two slices of cheese.
- Add 3/4 cup croutons on top of the cheese
- Next, add a piece of cheese on top of the croutons.
- Put the soup under the broiler just until the cheese melts.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
50 EASY RECIPES YOU MUST TRY
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.