Thank you for stopping by to see this tasty Garlic Spicy Hummus.
Do you like Hummus? I have never cared for it. To me, it is bland and never had much flavor until I kicked up my hummus with Chili powder, garlic, and cumin. I cannot stop eating this Spicy Hummus now.
What is Hummus?
is a dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and garlic. Tahini is made by mixing sesame seeds and olive oil into a smooth paste. I have tried several different types of hummus, but I have not been a big fan. I know it is excellent for you. Hummus has no cholesterol and an excellent protein source.
What is tahini?
This was a new ingredient to me too. Do not be afraid! Tahini is simply hulled sesame seeds ground into a paste with a little olive oil.
Why did I not like all the different hummus I have purchased?
I buy hummus most every time I go to the grocery store for my family, but I have not found one I have raved about until now. It is not that I hate hummus. I simply need a lot of flavor in my food. I do not waste my calories on bland food. He told me to make my own kicked up spicy hummus. So I did! This Garlic Spicy Hummus turned out so tasty I could not stop eating it. I combined the normal ingredients including chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, salt and fresh garlic with chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cumin. It is delicious. This spicy hummus is good for me, and it tastes great. A perfect combination. I am not sure this spicy hummus would be considered a Greek dish anymore. It is more like Greek married Tex-Mex, but they are happily married.
Spicy Garlic Hummus Say NO to bland Hummus!
- Ingredients for Tahini in this Hummus
- 1 cup hulled sesame seeds
- Five tablespoons or more extra virgin olive oil
- Ingredients for Hummus
- 2 14.5 ounces can chickpeas ( garbanzo beans), drained
- Four tablespoons tahini sesame paste
- Seven tablespoons extra virgin Olive Oil or more if too thick
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes I used one teaspoon but try 1/2 teaspoon and then decide if you want a little more heat.
- One teaspoon chili powder
- One teaspoon ground cumin
- Five cloves garlic crushed (fresh garlic only)
- One teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon juiced
- Pita bread or chips
- Instructions for Tahini
- Add the sesame seeds and olive oil to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until it reaches a smooth paste.
- Instructions for Hummus
- Use a blender to combine the chickpeas, Tahini, Olive Oil, crushed red pepper flakes, chili powder, ground cumin, crushed garlic, salt, and lemon juice.
- Mix until well blended.
- If too thick, drizzle additional olive oil until you reach the desired consistency.
Download 50 Southern Side Dishes Plus Salads and Sandwiches
Join 5000 email followers and download these recipes FREE.